• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Degreaser before bluing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickman15

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I received Brownell's oxpho blue in the mail, is there a good degreaser to use? I have heard people tell me to use mineral spirits, any better suggestions? I would like to avoid buying a degreaser in kit form. I hope to blue the barrel this weekend, wish me luck, the bluing agent is a cream which I hope will give lengthy work time.

Alcohol and acetone would be my two choices. You really want a degreaser that leaves NO residue behind. I don't think Mineral Spirits is the best choice for that reason, nor is turpentine. My father used Carbon Tetrachloride, but I believe that is now hard to buy.

I've always used acetone and Oxpho Blue and got great results. Oh, and rubber gloves.

Greg

I use Brownells TCE when I can get it. Otherwise it's acetone all the way. I never could get the results I wanted with Oxphoblue. If you don't get the results you're after, try Wheeler Engineering's blue. It's the best cold blue I've found yet and it's as durable as hot bluing, maybe more so.

Back