• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deringer Carry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaxenro

40 Cal.
Reaction score
How did they carry the old Henry Deringer Deringer's back in the day. I keep hearing they are for that quick shot, at card table distances, etc. etc. etc. But did they carry them loaded, capped, and cocked? Loaded but uncapped? Capped with the hammer down? Seems like that quick shot wouldn't be that quick if you needed to pull the gun, fumble for a cap, cock and cap it, and pull the trigger. Yet carrying one loaded, and capped, in your pocket all night seems a bit risky?

Any thoughts?

They carried them loaded, capped, and at half cock. Risk is a relative thing. Think about it. Fast self defense when needed versus the low probablity of a ready weapon going off.
I believe attitudes toward safety have changed somewhat in the intervening years. (Lawyers, lawsuits, lawyers, grumble, rant, rave...)

That's what I was thinking, half cocked. But I wonder if it gave rise to the phrase, going off half cocked? Seems like a half cocked deringer hammer is open to snagging

"Going off half cocked" goes back at least to the 18th century. Military muskets were first primed at the half cock & then the powder & ball loaded down the barrel. You would have a bad day if loading and ............. :(

Let's talk a bit about the danger of carrying a gun at half cock. There is the argument the notch may break and the gun fire. Surely anything is possible. But.....what about some of the modern guns. Take for example a typical double barrel shotgun. It is cocked and set to fire. The tang safety, in its rearward position is stopping the upward movement of the trigger's tail against the sear. The sear is a lever, raise the back, lower the front out of the hammer notch, and the gun fires. Now if the front of the sear is rounded from wear, or ditto for the notch- you have a very dangerous situation but folks go hunting with these guns and think nothing of it because the safety is on. The same for many other modern firearms- the safety only locks the trigger movement.
Now compare that with the cut of a half notch on a muzzle loading weapon. The half notch is quite safe in comparison. The biggest risk is an exposed hammer catching and pulling the hammer out of the half cock position.

Personaly,
modern times and only really shooting these at the range or on a derringer trail walk, I will ONLY cap on the line. Period.
How it was done way back when is anyone's speculation. Although I would gander at capped and half cocked, taking the risks that go along with it. things were a little different back then!

Brett

This was more idle speculation, not a recommendation that anyone carry that way today. I have an hours commute and get to thinking about these things.

I think it's more snagging the hammer than the half cock notch failing that would concern me. Of course if I was living back then and frequenting a place that necessated me carrying a loaded deringer it is a risk I would probably agree to.

To me the part of the history of not just how they were made, and how accurate they are, but how they were actually used on a day to day basis that fascinates me. I remember reading somewhere (and I don't have the reference so don't ask me to back it up) that more than Indian attacks, people on wagon trains died from being shot by their neighbors gun. Possibly an old muzzleloader carried half cocked and capped, perhaps old CW arms being carried west in no longer in pristine condition?

If the lock is in good shape, you can snag the hammer and it will just drop back into half cock.

On some of the flintlock predecessors of the Deringer, the safety blocked the mainspring and/or the cock on the inside from being pulled back farther, blocked the cock on the outside from falling forward, and locked the frizzen so it wouldn't open.

As for the old days I'm sure they carried them capped at half cocked in a coat pocket. A well made lock was probably safe in this situation. I have several reproduction derringers and only one has a working half cock. None the less I carry them loaded and capped. To give me peace of mind I put a spent pistol cartridge over the capped nipple and lower the hammer on to the cartridge. Hammer tension keeps the empty cartridge in place over the capped nipple. I also carry them in a snug holster and check my set up frequently when carrying this way. Other pistols I need to put a machine screw between hammer and caps and lower hammer so the screw is pinched firmly by the hammer a good distance from the cap. I also use a snug holster and check often to be sure nothing has moved out of place. So far I have had no problems. OK I may be a fool but if you knew me you would know me as someone who rarely takes risks unless I had reason to be confident.

Don

Latest posts

Back