• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Determining sight locations??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ Longbeard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm about ready to install the(fixed) front and rear sights on my 44" swampped barrel. It's on my first scratch build (a Bucks co. LR) Is there a formula or rule of thumb for finding the proper mounting locations on the barrel?......Ed :hmm:

I locate the center of the front sight dovetail 1-1/2" from the muzzle and the rear sight dovetail approx. at the entry pipe. W/ all the components mounted, find the balance point of the rifle using your hand and the rear sight can be on either side of your hand...I always mount the sight on the muzzle side of the hand. Nearly always this positions the rear sight above the entry pipe using a swamped bbl and the end of the lower forestock 11-1/2"-12' from the breech......Fred

Another thing that comes into play if the rifle is for you to be one shooting it is focus point .

Positioning it where you can see clear sight picture needs to be considered also.

Double sided carpet tape on rear site base ban be used to check this before cutting dovetail.

I've found that when the rifle is balanced w/ the hand, mounting the rear sight on the muzzle side of the hand suits more people. Mounting the rear sight on the breech side of the hand would possibly suit "younger eyes" but the majority of both younger and older shooters will find toward the muzzle side very satisfactory....Fred

I dont like to "guess" the location but instead test until there isnt any more fuzzy outline .And since I build for myself now I want the sights as clear as possible and not just close . When I built my first in late 70's the rear sight was at 10" from breech and of late need to be 11,11-1/2" from breech depending on front sight thickness and alloy . :v

Put the front sight leading tip about 1.25" to 1.5" from the muzzle. Take a small piece of magnet (like a refrigerator magnet) put on the barrel, now set the rear sight on that. Hold it up to a light & sight the rifle at the light, slide the rear one forward til you can see it well. Now give it another inch for age (your sight will most likely get worse) and that is where it needs to be.

It never did bother me having the sight at the balance point. If it ends up there, it just does. Some guys it bothers, some it don't.... :idunno:

Keith Lisle

front sight 1 1/2 is ok back sight 7 come 11 start at 7inches from tang barrel joint and move till you get a good sight picture

I personally dislike having a rear sight digging into my hand when carring a gun. I allways put the rear sight in front of the balance point. Most peoples eyes will easily use a rear sight abit further down the barrel rather than too close. BJH

Back