• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DGW Tennessee Mountian Rifle (LH)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzborden

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy guys. I'm looking for feedback on the Dixie Gunworks Tennessee Mountain rifle kit. I'm a lefty, and this would be my first build. I realize that it's not a Chambers kit, but I was wondering if anyone here has built this kit. Any feedback, positive or negative, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Gonz

I built a 50 cal. one from a D.G.W. kit back about 1982. It's a flintlock. Sure has a nice cherrywood stock. With 54 gr.of 2F powder and a patched 49 cal. ball, it put all shots in the center bull and "X"ring. They are always touching thus making one jagged hole. Really a fun rifle to shoot.

I haven't put one together but know a few people who have. It is a great first kit to start on. The rifle is simple and has great lines. Don't be afraid to take wood off especially on the forearm area.

The locks run from good to iffy. You may need to tune it a little to get it working well.

When you are done you will have a great shooter. Both the .32 and .50 in these models that I have seen have been tack drivers.

They really are a blast to shoot. My first was a DGW in .32 that was built from a kit in the early 80's by a wonderful craftsman. I bought it from a friend who had bought it as a kit and had it built. I sold mine three or so years ago because it is much later for the period that I re-enact, but oh how I wish that I had kept that gun just to shoot...sold it to a guy in FL and I would still give him his money back to day. It was a tack driver.

I do not know how they assemble, the one I had functioned without a flaw, but remember it was finished by a man who builds wonderful guns and had a lot of experience in building and tuning locks.

Being a true novice, I would be intimidated by the prospects of tuning a lock myself. Can anyone suggest a good book/video that might be useful if I decide to go down this road? Also, maybe a longshot, but I'm from the Buffalo, NY area. Are any regular contributors from my neck of the woods? Thanks for all the help, Gonz

Hi Gonz, I have a lefty 50 cal. mountain rifle but bought it in the mid 70s as a completed gun from Dixie. It is a fun gun to shoot and quite accurate. I have always been going to slim down the fore end of the rifle as it is wide and would make it more pleasing, at least in my eyes. As far as lock tuning goes, the most important thing is just to polish all the internals, including the inner face of the lock. I radius the edges of anything that moves so as to eliminate any digging in. Also slim down the frizzen spring and the sear spring. See the post a couple down from this one for more info.

I ordered a kentucky rifle kit from dixie gun works a few years ago 45 cal. the only problem was you had to do some wood work to get parts to fit flush an alot of sanding its a great shooter

The Dixie Tennessee Mountain rifle kit is made by Miroku in Japan. It comes in a Left hand version, Flintlock ONLY.

Dixie gunworks sells them and they classify the kits difficulty at a 2 basically saying it is not a "fall together" kit but with some trimming or a little chiseling it will go together.

This IMO would make it slightly more difficult than a Traditions or a Lyman Hawken kit which they rate as a difficulty of 1.

Their 2009 catalog says they want $650.00 + $16.00 postage for it making it more expensive than a Lyman Great Plains Rifle.

gonz: If you decide to buy and build this kit be sure to post any questions you may have on the Gun Builders Bench on our forum.
We will be able to help you with any problem you may have.

gonz said:
Being a true novice, I would be intimidated by the prospects of tuning a lock myself. Can anyone suggest a good book/video that might be useful if I decide to go down this road? Also, maybe a longshot, but I'm from the Buffalo, NY area. Are any regular contributors from my neck of the woods? Thanks for all the help, Gonz

Paul has a good article about lock tuning that has been around for years. I don't know the site where it is stashed but it goes into what is needed.

Mostly it is stoning contact areas and smoothing out the lock action. Sometime the hammer may need to be bent a little to get a better striking angle on the frizzen. Maybe Paul will show up and direct you to where the article is setting.

Just my opinion but I think would build the kit and shoot it before messing with the lock. It may be fine as is and not need anything done to it.

What makes a mountain rifle a mountain rifle?

Foster From Flint
Foster,
Mountain rifles are normally considered to be fairly plain, simple working class rifles made in the mountains SC/GA/TN/KY/NC/VA. Most (but not all) are iron mounted. Some (poor boys) may not have a nose cap/buttplate and/or entry pipe. Many have grease holes/boxes (filled with bear grease mixed with beeswax) in lieu of a patch box.

Dennis

gonz said:
Howdy guys. I'm looking for feedback on the Dixie Gunworks Tennessee Mountain rifle kit. I'm a lefty, and this would be my first build. I realize that it's not a Chambers kit, but I was wondering if anyone here has built this kit. Any feedback, positive or negative, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Gonz

The 1987 DGW Blackpowder Annual has an excellent article detailing the assembly of the Tn. Mt. kit. DGW still sells this issue for $3.50, I sent you the link in private.

Back