• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different Coyote BP Load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffdrown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
.This might be a crazy thought...so I was thinking for close range Coyote load (40 yards or less) in my 20 gauge BP Shotgun I could load black powder-OP nitro card- 5 balls of #4 buckshot (.024)then a patched round ball.

This might give me a edge at short range to get more lead then just a round ball into "yote".
Has anyone done this... or is this unsafe ???

Thanks Jeff

It should be OK. I played around with a "Buck&Ball" load of three 0.315" balls ahead of a 0.715" ball in my 12 gauge. Makes a big cloud of dust but the main ball still does all the work.

Better may be nine of the 0.24" balls for you. I called that my "Pirate Uzi"; nine of the 0.315" balls in the 12 bore. Quite a devistating thing out to 20 yards, but after that I still prefer a single, tight fitting ball. Never actually lit into an animal with that.

Just #4 regular shot (0.129") is quite a killing load. I have killed mean 'ol 45 pound raccoons at 40 yards with a single blast of #4's from a 20 gauge (though w/full choke). When I think I may "run into something" after grouse season has ended while taking a smoothbore for a walk around the propery that is what I load with.

Coyotes are thin-skinned animals. You can kill them with a load of #2 shot easily. I saw one killed with a load of #6 shot at about 20 yards. :hmm: :hatsoff:

What I am suggesting is that any load you make to shoot Canada Geese will serve you well for Coyote inside 40 yards. Consider even using large, non-toxic shot.

A 1oz. load of #2 will be mean medicine on those critters.
With a good stiff cardboard cylinder you will reach out to the 40 yd. mark with ease.
Your buck and ball load will open up quickly, and you will not have much of a pattern at 40 yds.
If you do hit something with that big ball it will be down for sure.....but for coyotes, I would use #2.
Old Ford

You can buy it in 10 lb. bags from Ballistics Products. Hornady sells it, and local distributors can order it in 25 lb. bags.

Woe. My walk around my property load is #4 shot, about 34 pellets in each barrel of my 12 gauge double, smoothbore 32 inch lnch long barrels, full and full choked. I just came back from such a walk. Found cat prints in the snow and where she layed down to wait out the snow fall last night. She walked away my guess when it was still dark. My guess is a bobcat. I have coyotes and eas ready for any game with that load.

Seems like many would favor the smaller shot for the yotes, but I'd be more inclined to go with 000 or 00 with about 6 of either one and leave out the ball. That's just my opinion. I've only killed coyotes with .50 cal balls and .223.

Back