• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Different powder for big game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive got a .54 ill be using for big game. Round ball only, and read somewhere that a .54 with FFFg is ok but with Fg they wouldnt. My gun shoots Fg like a charm. Should I be concerned. Elk and Deer?

I would not be concerned. Fg burns much slower than FFFg will, so it takes more powder to get the same velocity using Fg powder. You need to try using both powders, cleaning our rifle between shots to give you a good idea about groups, and velocity, to see which powder granulation your gun likes better.

A Lot of people on this forum use both T/C, and Lyman rifles chambered in .54, and swear by powder charges using FFFg powder.

The only folks who use Fg powder are usually shooting large bore muskets, like a Brown Bess, or a large Gauge shotgun- 10, 8 or larger! :shocked2:

For Rifles, most choose to use either FFFg or FFg powder. The only way any of us learn which powder our gun likes, is by trying both, or all three granule sizes.

I knew a good friend who worked up loads for a .62 Caliber rifle, and found that FFFg gave much more consistent groups out of that gun than did FFg, no matter what load, and combinations of components he tried. And, he spent a couple of days at the range, trying every kind of component, and ranges of powder charges to find a good load using FFg.

Another club member with a .62 caliber rifle shot great groups using FFg powder. The first even compared notes with the second man, and went back to the range to try some ideas the second man gave him- to no avail.

Barrels will tell you what they like when it comes to powders, ball diameter, and patch thickness combinations.

Don't forget to try different kinds of lubes on the patches, too. I saw a man's groups off the bench at 50 yds cut in half JUST BY changing the patch lube he was using. I had not seen that much of an improvement before, and we were both pleasantly surprised, particularly after he shot another 5-shot group with the same result.

The biggest thing with game is putting the ball where it needs to go. If your gun does that at a reasonable range, your all set.

The old rule of thumb that I was told when I started shooting black powder many many years ago was, .32cal up to .50cal use 3FFF .54cal and up use 2FF. Large gauge shotguns use 1F.

If you're using 1F in your .54 you may have some unburned powder blowing out the muzzle. 2FF or 3FFF will burn more complete. My .54's like 80 to 90gr's 2FF for hunting loads. If you try 3FFF I'd start at 70gr's and work up.

Swampy said:
The biggest thing with game is putting the ball where it needs to go. If your gun does that at a reasonable range, your all set.

It s always fun to play and fine tune but Swampy nails it here..Accuracy is THE most important thing (assumeing that you have enough energy/velocity to break the skin ~ Obviously you would take a 45 grain target load in a .54 to hunt with) ANYWAY, If you are accurate and happy then you are adequate.

how much powder are you using? It might be an issue depending on how far you will shoot with the rifle and how much powder you use.

snapper

sean30ber said:
My gun shoots Fg like a charm. Should I be concerned. Elk and Deer?

It's good to hear about the 1f in a 54. I don't have any 1f, but have some on the way to try with smoothbores and shot, especially my 75 caliber. But all the while I'm wondering about trying it in a few rifles.

As for whether or not it's guddenuff for elk and deer, the big question is whether or not you can hit them in the right spot. Enough velocity for the trajectory you need is nice too, unless you want to sentence yourself to nothing but closer shots. But if you put a 54 cal ball in the right place at any reasonable hunting velocity, it's time to get out the meat saw.

I'm not sure about his velocity, but a guy hunting our place in the Southwest has put down two elk with single shots from his 54, firing a RB on top of 70 grains of 2F because it shoots so well. He could certainly use more powder if he had intentions to shoot out to 100 yards, but he keeps his shots at 50 yards or less.

Back