• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Disappointed with 54 cal round ball.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drahthaar

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot a big doe yesterday evening with my renegade 54. Made a perfect heart shot but much like the 50 cal, the 54 roundball failed to pass through. Instead, came to rest against the hide of the opposite side.

Even with the snow, found VERY little blood and worry that a less than perfect shot could present a problem. Also have no doubt that a conical would have passed through both sides as proven last year with same gun.

Anyone else getting this kind of results or was this unusual for the 54?

Rick

Its not unusual, as much of the ball's energy is expended after traversing the body of a big game animal. Some have found that a round ball harder than pure lead will keep the ball's shape intact and penetrate the animal. I know that some cast their round balls for big game hunting from wheel weights (make sure they are lead, though). Other suggestions would be to up your powder charge to a 'hunting' load to give you better penetration. But if your hitting bone, it could still be a difficult journey for the ball to make it's way through the animal.

You should give your load and the distance. It makes it easier to answer your question. :) Welcome to the forum.

Larry

I have had but one failure to pass thru, twas my dads buffalo, .58 cal conical 85 grains and found under skin on opposite shoulder.

I only shoot 75-85 grains w PRB in .50 to .58 and have always had pass thru and decent blood trail :idunno: . How far she go?

When I have made double lung/broadside shots my .54 PRB's have always passed through, the deer seldom go more than several feet if any. Once a number of years ago, I thought a large doe was broadside to me, range 50 yards, she was actually at an angle, my shot caught the lung facing me and missed the other lung, and she ran a good distance, 300-400 yards, with very little blood. That was my fault, I hit the rear lobe of the right lung, and the ball did not pass thru.

Last year and once this year I tried what member Roundball calls the high shoulder shot, on two does and one buck, all three shots passed thru. I should note that my shots are always at relatively close range, never more than 75 yards, with 100grs FFg, a .530 pure lead PRB, .018 pillow ticking lubed with mink oil.

I honestly doubt having an exit hole makes the difference between recovering a deer or not, when hit in the vitals.

Many deer can take a while to begin bleeding depending on how they are hit. I often will find hair and little blood at the start and then find more blood the closer I get.

Also it is quite possible that the damage to the heart stopped the pumping which reduces the blood trail.

I've got quite a collection of flattened balls in a shadow box. I think they're cool.

I've tracked many deer by footprints alone, with or without snow
There are more places you can shoot a deer and not kill it than there are places you can kill it

Dunno know how anybody could think a heart shot is a bad shot. But you didn't say how far the deer traveled before dropping. I assume it was less than 50 yards.

A pass thru seems to be the usual with r/balls but if it only makes it to the opposite side at least you can retrieve it to see what it looks like.

I have taken six deer with prb in a .50 cal since getting into this game. Not a ton of experience, but I have had only one rb not pass through. A 10 yard shoulder shot with 80gr ffg behind it.

Just this year I had a pass through the neck with a .50 cal pistol with prb with 40gr fffg behind it. I am astonished at the amount of penetration I get with a .50 prb.

To me, it sounds like you may be shooting light charges, but we'll need more info.

Drahthaar said:
Shot a big doe yesterday evening with my renegade 54. Made a perfect heart shot but much like the 50 cal, the 54 roundball failed to pass through. Instead, came to rest against the hide of the opposite side.

Even with the snow, found VERY little blood and worry that a less than perfect shot could present a problem. Also have no doubt that a conical would have passed through both sides as proven last year with same gun.

Anyone else getting this kind of results or was this unusual for the 54?

Rick

The heart shot stopped the blood from flowing so that's the reason for no blood trail. I always try for the double lung shot myself.

Ouch! He did say it was a heart shot. That is not a bad shot. Lack of blood is from lack of exit wound. The entry wound is a sphincter wound and closes up once the projectile passes through the skin. We need to know the load, range, and how far he trailed it before we can make any decisions on his shot. I have had far more powerful unmentionables fail to penetrate completely.

some of the shot details:

the deer was perfectly broadside, the ball was actually through the opposite side and did not hit the opposite shoulder. It was through the meat and resting against the hide.

I was using a Hornady ball and .20 oc yoke patches on top of 80 grains of goex 3f. Accurate load from this gun but about the same performance as my other 50 cabiner..... One hole from a distance of 54 yards.

No meaning to start problems or insult anyone's caliber choice, just trying to gain some knowledge from others on this caliber.

Rick

Sorry forgot to add that the deer travelled approximately 60 yards with blood only showing the final 20 feet.

Rick

My deer gun is a 54. I load it with 90 grains of 2F and aim just behind the shoulder, a bit low of center (boiler room).

I can honestly say that I've never failed to shoot clean through. It's normally quite messy in the leaves behind the target.

60 yards and 20 showing blood, you know how fast a deer can cover 40 yards? Probably didn't fill the chest cavity until the 2.5 seconds to get 40 yards........what do you want?

Interesting, what is the significance/importance of a complete pass through on a deer?

When a projectile does not exit a deer means the deer absorbed 100% of the energy. When the projectile exits a deer and goes flying off into where ever, what has been gained?

Not to insult or upset any one but this doesn't "sound" quite right to me.
How could a .54 not pass through at that range? I don't have a .54, but have shot deer with a .50 and a .45 and have not recovered an intact ball and they usually go all the way through.
Could you have hit a twig or grass before the ball got to the deer? Just trying to figure this out in my head, not doubting any of the story.

Back