• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Disappointed with 54 cal round ball.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrownBear We like our venison any way it can be cooked and I think I have had it every way possible excecpt carne asada but i guess i would try it atleast once,(nothin ventured nothin gained right).My wife can cook pretty good as she grew up on a farm but she would rather be in the barn than the kitchen.We cook in our wood stove quite a bit and i hope to build a fireplace someday.Too many other thing to do rite now for that though.Curt

I hear ya. I grew up less than 10 miles from the Mexican border, so that influences my tastes quite a bit. Down in that part of the world ranchers felt beef was for selling and venison was for the table, and poor folks could only afford wild meants. So "Mexican" just tastes better to me with venison, rabbit, javalina and more. Sit down to a good batch of venison chili, and you may never make beef chili again. Same for carne asada.

WELL SAID. ======> Personally, I like venison ANY way that it's cooked.
(When I lived in VA, I once made 10 gallons of TEXAS RED with "last year's venison" for a hungry crowd of neighborhood hunters, on the night before OPENING DAY. = Two hours later, it was: G-O-N-E, GONE.)

yours, satx

We try to raise a few steers each year just to have some veriety ,plus the squirrel population is real good too and hardly anybody ever hunts them,tell people you eat them and they give you this funny look.Our kids grew up on wild game and maybe thats why there that way.Our oldest girl took chefs schoolin in Chicago and then married a chef and when they come to visit we let em run the kitchen and we just get out of the way.Man can they cook , .

I think were suppose to be talkin about 54 cal rifle ,and i do know this if you can do your part they are more than enough gun to get meat on the table,but I like all calibers.Curt

Long as we've wandered so far afield from the original question, I'll add another great venison use, this from the family tree. Use it to make German-style Rouladen. Lots of rouladens out there from Germany and Scandanavia, and they're all good. But the one I've linked is close to our family recipe, and I think it's best.

I guess my question would be how far was the deer from you? What kind of powder were you using? How much powder were you using? Usually, a deer shot with a .54 patched round ball at less than 100 yards will have a hole on each side even if the ball hits a rib. A deer shot at a long range (over 150 yards) or one shot with a light load may not have a through and through wound but otherwise, a ,54 patched round ball should leave a hole on each side and a good blood trail.

BrownBear That sounds like a good recipe and will have to get them girls cookin up some next time there here.Thanks for the tip Curt

With your opinion, I am really happy now. I was also worried about the" not pass through " issue even after 100 % result on the spot.
Thank you

I think it is the fact that every shooter expect a pass through" with every shot, no matter what he hit.it is not necessary to a shot pass through the game to drop it on the spot. Any game to drop on the spot or not is always not depending on the bullet placement or energy.if a animal felt any danger and thinking of flea even some hours before it comes to you; it definitely run a distance except it get the shot in the head.but a LG shot from a shotgun at a range of 15 to 20 feet will drop any deer size game on the spot, just because of multiple vital damage.and yes in that range the round balls from a shotgun also pass through the game. (This is just my opinion and I am not a expert)

Back