• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ditchburn Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any builders out there ever use a Ditchburn Lock? I came across the website and liked the look of it. Any comments on them?

I have... but it was a long time ago :haha: . I had a few issues with the one I used, nothing that I couldn't fix (but for the price why should I have?) All locks have a warranty and first thing that I have learned to do is to put a flint in it and make sure it sparks before you go altering it.
To be honest I don't remember being overly impressed with it. One thing I did not care for was the post on the main spring. It was just a small pin that was drilled into the lock plate and again into the mainspring itself. So it worked, but the post could/would fall out when the main spring was removed from the lock. So the "hand forged spring" was more of a bent piece of spring steel with a shortcut.

I have used both the rifle and the pistol lock. They are pricey, but the two that I have are of "watch like" quality. Very short throw, very vast, and very PC. The rifle lock is taken from castings from an original JP Beck.

Nice lock!!

From looking at the picture of the JP Beck that the lock is modeled after, the lock in the picture appears to be a replacement. The lock looks too small for that rifle. It also looks like there is a wood shim around part of the bottom of the lockplate and also in front of the rounded section of the plate. -Just forward of the frizen spring. Anyone else ever notice that??
As for function, the only major problem I have with it, is that it is a little small to use with larger diameter barrels and the main spring needs to be ground down due to it interfering with the barrel. Not allowing it to fit flush against the barrel flat. Brian

Latest posts

Back