• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dixie gun works molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keppy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone used the dixie molds? If so what did you think of them? Thanks

Ken,
I may sound prejudiced but the .510 we spoke about is one of the Dixie scissors type. They come without a sprue cutter and, unless they are a very large caliber, leave a long sprue. The one I have, I milled down and then added the sprue cutter. I have several in different calibers and as long as you get them good and hot they do a very good job.
Mark

Are you referring to the molds made from old style hair straightening irons that have scissor-loop handles and a split ball (used for the mould blocks) on the other end? If so I had a couple of them MANY years ago. They worked well enough although I never measured the diameter of the balls cast to see how close they were to the claimed diameter. I also found out real quick that cutting the sprues with a pair of diagonal wire cutters and then filing the nub wasn't a whole lot of fun.

Now that I think about it, those dang things may still be kicking around the place somewhere. I even had one made up with Turner Kirkland's special elongated ball (1.5 times bore diameter I think) for the .30 caliber muzzleloader I built as a kid.

All in all, I recommend getting a Lee, an RCBS, or a Lyman mould. MUCH easier to use.

Yep thats the ones. I have used a lot of the other brands but just wondering what people thought of them. :thumbsup:

I was looking at ball molds on Dixies sight last night and for what they are asking for this type mold, $55.00 plus shipping, you can get 2 Double cavity Lee molds and have money left over.

True if its a normal size, but if your looking for a .520 most don't make them molds anymore.

Holy cow! Fifty-five bucks you say? I doubt they are worth a quarter of that, unless someone is only looking for a novelty mold style. As I recall they were about $3.95 when I bought mine, but that was a while ago. :redface:

I have one . It is the Pritchett .58
You arent gonna find that bullet anywhere except an original mold and it will cost $400 !
Cutting the sprues off aint no big deal if ya use pure lead.

The best way I have found is to use a sharp pocket knife and score the sprue deeply at its base where it joins the ball and then just twist it off. Most of the time it will break flush with the ball and not require any filing.

whitebear said:
I was looking at ball molds on Dixies sight last night and for what they are asking for this type mold, $55.00 plus shipping, you can get 2 Double cavity Lee molds and have money left over.

Dang kinda pricey, I picked a used .45 up for 10 bucks at the NMLRA nationals in Phoenix last year. I had to install locator pins to make it cast true, but it now does a good enough job as a bag mould.

Μολών λαβέ

Hacksaw said:
True if its a normal size, but if your looking for a .520 most don't make them molds anymore.
I have a half dozen or so of the Dixie molds, bought them for less than $10. Used to be they were about $5 in the catalog. True, for obsolete or unusual diameters, they come in handy.....but $55?? The most used one I have is for the Burnside carbine 54 caliber bullet, got that new for about $6.

I have 1/2 dozen of them, all are made up in odd calibers to fit my guns better than standard sizes.
I use them alot, I have had them for about 20 years with no problems. I use a pair of horseshoe nail cutters to cut off the sprues. I only paid $20.00 for them. If you need a non standard caliber then they are the way to go.

Pic of my Dixie I use for bag mould, little folding ladle for melting lead over campfire. (temporary stick handles are throwaways)

P1010001-12.jpg

I've used mine for over thirty years. It used to leave a long sprue, but I set it in my mill and counter bored the fill hole until it has only about .100 sprue with a large chunck on the end. I have found that this prevents the void just under the sprue caused by the lead shrinking as it cools much the same as "overpouring on molds with a sprue cuter. I have found that I can actually pour balls faster with it than with a sprue cutter mold. I pour a few hundred at a time and then go back and cut the sprues off.

Latest posts

Back