• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY Jackware Canteen Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all, if your like me and want a nice primitive style canteen but certainly don't want to pay the premium... Make one. Figured I'd do a little thread on constructing a leather jackware canteen, which I hope this will spark someone's imagination to give this a try as well! :thumbsup:

While I'm allowing some gourds to dry for a gourd canteen, I've chosen to construct a leather jackware canteen mainly because I've always wanted one! They are certainly a period correct accoutrement, and one that has quenched many of thirst while in the woods or trail. So today I jotted some ideas on paper and compiled a list of what I wanted, this should hold approximately 4 cups. For the main body I'm using 5oz veg tanned leather, a piece of 3/4" copper tube for the stem, (which I've read was used) and I'll be stitching it together with linen thread. For waxing the exterior and interior I've chosen to use paraffin wax over the more traditional bees wax for one reason... Paraffin has a higher melting temp, and I've seen my grandmother use the stuff by the box load from canning!

Here is what I've came up with for template's
EOApvVR.jpg

Two templates, one for the main body and one smaller that I'll use to keep my stitches in a uniform and even circle. The neat thing is, one can design the shape however they wish, this was just the basic shape/ style I've seen and liked.

Another image showing the leather I'm using, 2EA, 8.5"×11" tooling leather pieces, 1 piece of 3/4" copper tubing, I'll trim this to approximately
1 1/8" to form a good seal once the interior is waxed.
kZ4HlLJ.jpg

Last image you can get a generalized idea of how this piece will be shaped and sewn. I didn't mark the locations for my strap holes because I'm still deciding what type of strap I'd like to use, which will dictate the shape and location obviously. For a stopper, I'll be carving a plug.
xP0wZUR.jpg

Well, I hope this has sparked some interest! More to come! As always, make good smoke! :hatsoff:

I'd suggest the beeswax over paraffin. It has more flexibility and appears to stick better to the leather. It is what I've used for the jackware canteens I've made.

What I've found about paraffin, it's very important to actually pre-heat the leather, then it soaks right in. Tried both on a test piece and as of now I'm going to stick with the road less traveled. I also want a more ridged canteen as well so we shall see, certainly won't be my last!

Black Hand said:
I'd suggest the beeswax over paraffin. It has more flexibility and appears to stick better to the leather. It is what I've used for the jackware canteens I've made.

I agree..... from my experience paraffin tends to flake and chip off over time....especially when subject to cold and wet conditions.....Beeswax is the preferred wax for other things also....like waxing traps and boots.....

Also....paraffin isn't very flexible, leather is.....beeswax is much more flexible.

OOPS! :doh: :doh: guess you said that.... :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be very interested to watch this come together and see the final product. I've used leather "wine bota" bottles for carrying water while hunting in he past. I like being able to squeeze the air out as I empty the water in order to prevent that sloshing noise. But, I've had so many problems with mold/mildew growing inside between trips that I stopped using them. Any ideas how to keep this from happening with your canteen?

Shouldn't be an issue, one difference with a jackware versus a bota is the wax lining, and someone correct me but I do believe beeswax naturally resists molds and other nastys... Not entirely sure on that though. Secondly with a bota bag being a collapsible device, if not thoroughly dried before storage any trace amounts of moisture will certainly go bad quick sealed up with no airflow. With the jackware canteen being rigid hanging it to properly dry won't be an issue. After work today I plan on jumping back to the project!

Thank you for the images hogslayer, beautiful piece!

I've found a double line of stitching about 1/8th inch apart works well. I also off-set them by a half stitch.

Been very busy with work, and today is my day off so I spent the morning in the woods. Apparently the squirrel were aware I was coming because it was dead, however the hedge apples were dispatched in large quantities! Should get some time tonight.

Those squirrels tend to see me before I see them, no matter how hard I try! Looking forward to your progress.

I did one last winter looked much like yours. I made it bigger and it held 5 pints. Worked great. However I didn't have a strong enough strap and it parted on the trail. Cracked like old plastic. ??? Was very hard after using paraffin I wonder if bees wax would have done better. Tried some small 4 oz flask, but got the wax too hot and cooked them. Live and learn

Over-heated jackware is very brittle (the leather gets cooked by the hot wax). I set my oven temp at ~180-200F and melt my wax on the stove which helps avoid overheating the leather.

Oh boy isn't that the truth! Wouldn't you guess it, right when I left two reds went scurrying up a big walnut... :doh: Anywho, started stitching the leather tonight, got tired and had to call it a day. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Also, decided on beeswax over paraffin.

There is time that deer and squirrel season overlap here, and you can guess that I only saw one while hunting the other! My .50 is too strong of medicine for squirrels.

I think you will be happier with beeswax, more natural, and probably more flexible.

Back