• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DIY Jackware Canteen Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canteen is waxed, exterior and interior. Results are wonderful! Holds exactly four cups of water. Next I'll be making a strap and stopper.
Couple of finer points, the rice was a good choice IMO. You will have rice left inside after waxing the exterior but after using BB's to shake around, the majority of the residual rice is knocked loose. The remaining rice will ultimately come loose and pour out when you begin to wax the interior. Overall, I've applied four coats to both sides, and four coats on the interior. Very happy with how it's turned out, even better is the smell of beeswax! Next it'll be a strap and stopper, stay tuned!

JKJISKC.jpg

It looks really good. Now I have another project to add to my ever growing list of things to do once I get some time.
Maybe I missed it but to coat the inside do you heat the wax pour it in and let it dry?

I thought about doing some artwork, however most of the period examples I've found with Native Americans and canteens are mainly gourds with no design. I did find a few images depicting what appeared to be a leather flask canteen of some kind. However, I decided to tread on the safe side and just keep it plane. I will be making a fancy strap with beadwork so that will supplement the lack of tooling on the canteen body. It's honestly a very rewarding feeling having a vessel hold water that you've constructed, taking a drink from it is just downright neat! :thumbsup:

JI said:
It looks really good. Now I have another project to add to my ever growing list of things to do once I get some time.
Maybe I missed it but to coat the inside do you heat the wax pour it in and let it dry?

Yes sir, you'll heat your wax, pour in and slosh/shake it around long enough to get a good coating then pour it out before it begins to harden or you'll be in trouble... The key is to not melt your exterior coating but evenly distribute the wax inside around the seams and neck area. When you fill it for the first time, you'll quickly see if your work has paid off. I can say do not rush the waxing... take your time and watch your temperatures. You also do not want your wax boiling hot, just to the melting point. Overall, it's fairly easy and straightforward.

Also, wear gloves. :thumbsup:

Agreed. And it is very nice work. It's always more satisfying using gear one has made one's self, not sure I'll be attempting my own canteen though. But maybe someday. I'm wondering about the possibility of wet molding the halfs over something like a shallow bowl then waxing the inside of each half before sewing them together?

Certainly could be done, I can see it possibly being more difficult to assemble though. Honestly though I'm not sure I'd even attempt it because it's not at all hard to do. Very easy. :thumbsup:

Honestly, the most difficult part of jackware is making certain your stitching is tight and even....

Thanks for the information. I would have heated the wax too hot. Now all I need to do is stop procrastinating and get to work.

Gloves what's the fun in that? :grin:
I would have learned that one the hard way.

Back