• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do I need a 54 caliber rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am curious - I have a 50 caliber rifle that has killed two whitetails without any problem.

Plus a 62 caliber fowler.

Do I need to get another rifle say in 54 caliber in case I get to go elk hunting sometime?

"But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

"Need" is a pretty broad word. Speaking personally, I'm not sure you'll notice all that much more performance going from a 50 to a 54, though you'll certainly be happy with a 54 on elk. My personal preference is to jump two calibers when going up or down, in your case jumping from 50 to 58. You'll definitely see a difference then! Of course, that opens a can of worms if you want a factory rifle. The options in 58 are pretty limited compared to 50 and 54 in terms of sources and styles.

I had both 50's and 54's for years, but I have to say when I got my first 58, I virtually quit shooting any of my 54's. Now when I want something lighter than a 58, I grab a 50. If that tells you anything.

jrmflintlock said:
Of course you do!!!

You also need a .32, .36, .40, .45 and a .58!!!! :rotf:

You can never have too many!!

Several in each caliber too!!!!! :grin:
I think this is the best answer. ;)

I personally like the added benefits that can be had from calibers larger than a .45/.50.
If I was considering getting a larger caliber rifle than a .50 I already had, I'd definitely get a .58cal...and have done so.
The larger .570" frontal area of the heavier 279grn ball truly delivers 'whompability' at distance, and with a decent trajectory.
Get a .54 if you like...but if you're really considering a more powerful caliber, then take a bigger step and get a .58cal.

NOTE:
In addition...if lead is ever banned where you want to hunt, it turns out that a commercial metal manufacturing company makes precision .562" solid brass balls (only 64 cents each) which range tested perfectly in my .58cal this summer...deer hunting it this fall for field test purposes...another advantage of having a .58cal.

Need!!!!!! you should never use the "N" word,especially if "she" might hear you say it.
Say this,"I Want it,,,I will get it",,,,, You use "the" word and she will figure to say,"You don't "need" any of them",see where this is going.
I explain it as,I'am developing the kids inheritance.

If you have that caliber already,,explain it is a different style,maker,barrel,,you work on it ,,it will come as second nature.

To help you make up your mind, go back through the "hunting" forum and see the giant bull that was recently killed with a .50. I thi9nk it's under "Got Him!"

Having taken deer and hog within 100 miles of Fort Parker, assuming this is still the area you hunt, with both .50 and .54, I dont think you will notice much difference. Having said that, I think it goes to the .54 being lighter and easier to carry in the same model rifle than the .50 version of the same gun. And I personally prefer the .54 over the .50, and bought one for that reason and I just "needed" it. I would say go for it, as I remember you posting about hunting New Mexico IIRC, and the possibility of elk, but the .50 will do anything in this area--but you will have to carry ALL that EXTRA WEIGHT, and possibly slip and fall and hurt yourself due to the heavier than necessary load of the rifle, and more balls, and, well, your wife really needs to allow the .54 for your safety. :thumbsup: :stir:

Electric Miner said:
What about the big calibers, though, like .69 or .75?

Heck, I have 50, 54, 58, 62, 72 and 75 cals. In the "smalls" I have 30, 32 and 36. Must have a 40 and a 45! But I'm still hankering for a 69. No sense to it. :rotf:

Back