• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do I need a 54 caliber rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't have one , you need one. Just like I need a 54 cal, a 58 cal,and give me some more time I'm sure I can think of something else I need. :rotf:

FWIW, I have never hunted elk, but thanks to the "Outdoor channel" I have been along on many elk hunts in my livingroom. Most I have seen have been really close shots with bows and centerfires.I think your Fowler with a .62 roundball would make excellent medicine in this situation plus the "cool" factor would be off the charts! On the other hand your .50 could handle this as well, and maybe a little more range and oomph if you use a heavy conical. I prefer roundball myself so I stepped up to a Green Mountain .54 cal 1:70 twist roundball barrel in my T/C. I shot a whitetail doe last year at 50 or so yds .490 RB over 90gr.of FFg. Shoulder shot,dropped immediately, broke both shoulders but did not exit. Where I hunt is really thick woods I dont like to trail with a flashlight after dark in the thick stuff. That was with a .50 roundball by the way. I imagine if the .50 roundball didnt penetrate through both shoulders of a 100# whitetail, there could be penetration problems once it contacts heavy elk bone. I agree with most on here, always a good excuse to buy another rifle! Save the .50 for deer, the fowler for turkeys and squirrels, and step up to a .54 or .58 rifle for elk! :yakyak: :)

Amen!!!!
.62, .69, .72, .75 and you could keep going into the 4 bore and 2 Bore if you like!! I know a Guy in Las Cruces that makes em that big if you want one!!!

Wooohoooo!!!!!!! :rotf:

Back