• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you prefer a single or a set trigger for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I like them both, I'm not real "trigger sensitive", I do fine with even heavy pulls...but I do appreciate "nice" triggers. When actually shooting at a deer, setting the trigger does not seem to be anything I forget to do, or distracts me...which was a concern before I actually ever used them, although my triggers (on my Jeager) do not require being set, I can just pull the front trigger and fire it "normally". Hopefully if I have gloves on, next time I get a shot, I will NOT set the trigger....we'll see!

I think I like the set trigger for sighting in and target work, in the field, taking a real shot, I'm fine with either one.

for hunting I like a single trigger, target shooting a set trigger

Most of my muzzleloading rifles have double set triggers. I like the option of a double set trigger. I can use it as a single if needed or set it if the opportunity is provided for a shot with a rest.

A single pinned trigger can be made fairly light and crisp. What ever you choose I think spending time shooting it is the key.
Robby

My preference for target shooting is set. For hunting single is fine. When Dave Persons began building my Chamber Little Fella kit I ordered a double set option. We/Dave found out this is not a simple drop in situation. So, if you are considering building a rifle do be ready for some tricky inlay work. BTW, the triggers work beautifully.

I've owned muzzleloaders with both types about half & half. Most of what I now have came with double set triggers and I'm very used to them. In fact, three of my dbl set guns have very fine unset pulls. All the triggers when set have pulls of under a pound. So if I have to choose one or the other I'll choose double set.

Back