• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you think that modern ML firearms have any investment value?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMO investing in any type of firearm is a bit of a manure shoot. Of course classic and unobtainium "traditional" (and original BP) firearms are worth many times more than what they originally sold for and even more than what they sold for only several years ago. That goes without saying, that is if you follow such things.

That said, do you think that modern replica BP firearms are worth owning for a future return on your investment.

I'll keep my opinion to myself for the moment, I want to hear what you all think.

They may be worth more in the future but that is only because the dollar is worth less. If you use the inflation calculator on modern prices, you will see this.

in 1975 I could buy a new TC Renegade on sale at Ron Shirks Shooter Supply for $90, I ran this price through the inflation calculator and came up with a today's price of $527 or about what a new in the box one would cost today, the inflation rate between 1975 and today is $486%.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Any well made quality firearm will, in most cases, keep up with inflation with some appreciating in value a little more, but "investing" in a firearm is a Fool's Errand, IMHO. What ones will be the "hot" item or considered "rare" in the future is uncertain & subject to the whims of unknowledgeable people. Making money off of firearms is best done by "speculating" in the short term & avoiding any emotional attachments. High returns on collectable firearms generally occur over several generations & are hardly ever realized by the original buyer. Just my two cents!

IMO investing in any type of firearm is a bit of a manure shoot. Of course classic and unobtainium "traditional" (and original BP) firearms are worth many times more than what they originally sold for and even more than what they sold for only several years ago. That goes without saying, that is if you follow such things.

That said, do you think that modern replica BP firearms are worth owning for a future return on your investment.

I'll keep my opinion to myself for the moment, I want to hear what you all think.
Depends. Time always tells. Example; the Roger & Spencers, no longer made I don't think (?), are highly desirable. Look what happened with the Ruger Old Army's! But often decades will be needed to realize a "gain". I still wish I had gone after a minty Spencer .56-50 full length rifle at auction about 10 years ago; to buy one new now would cost thousands, well, over two grand anyway. The limited edition Uberti pistol sets, Geo. Washington, Hamilton-Burr duel, really have held up.

Latest posts

Back