• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does lubed patch affect powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

54Bernie54

32 Cal.
Reaction score
When you seat a well lubed patch onto the powder and let it sit for hours while hunting, does it affect the powder charge by making it wet? Also does dampness in the air or below 0 temp while hunting affect the powder? My first week of muzzleloading hunting was well below freezing and each night after pulling the ball, the powder would not pour out the muzzle. Is this normal? was the powder just getting caught up on the lube as it traveled towards the muzzle?

Did you take it inside a warmer area to pull the ball? A friend of mine would leave his outside so there woulnt be any condisation by moving the gun to a heated envirment. As far as the lube made a little but not enough to make it clump up.

John

Its much more likely that your friend poured the powder down a barrel with oil or moisture in it, and failed to clean and dry out the barrel before loading the powder. I always recommend flushing a barrel out with alcohol to remove oils and grease, and moisture, which evaporates with the alcohol.

Normally, unless you are using a very damp Waterbased lube on a patch, or using saliva on the patch, you should not see the powder in the chamber affected by your lube. I have seen guys putting a wet patch down their barrels that are SO wet, that liquid is found pouring down the sides of their barrel. That is Way TOO MUCH liquid lube. When you do that, you are going to foul the powder to some extent, and cause at least the front part of the load to " clump". I have helped men pull their PRBs, and then use a patch pulling jag( looks like a corkscrew) to dig the powder out. The clumped powder clearly feels damp, and often shows evidence of the luquid lube. I specifically recall one guy at the club doing this with his bottle of Hoppe's #8 Black Powder solve and lube. I was using the product at the same time, and when I saw how much he was pouring over the patch and down the barrel, my mind said, " Uh, Oh!" and sure enough, the charge would not fire. That is when I started looking for my ball puller, to help him. It wasn't until we actually put the clumped powder in his hand for him to feel that he would believe how he had caused his powder to fail to go off.

Apparently, someone had shown him how to liberally use the solvent when wetting a cleaning patch, and he misunderstood and thought that is what you did with your patch, too! Its nice to see someone else screw up, but I have plenty of " dumb Things " I have done in my ML career, too. :surrender: :hatsoff:

With blackpowder 5grs won't effect it enought to hurt your powder like smokless. Alot of people think Bpowder is not as powderfull as smokless, wrong. The difference is the burn time. Smokeless only burns a short time, like 17inches,black will still burning 30to40 or more. The reason your powder wouldn't pour out was because it was compacted. I use a brass rod to loosen it, then pour out. You never can get it all. I just put some water in barrel,clean&dry&oil. Remember steel sweats,if it gets cold, keep cold. I have left mine load a week if conditions are right. Dilly

Just a word of caution to you if you're using a CO2 discharger to remove the round from the gun; make sure that after it has been removed to use a scraper jag to remove all powder that packed down in the bottom. If you don't do this one step you may be in for a real surprise the next time you put a cap on your gun and pull the trigger to clear it...................ask me how I know. :doh:

No John, I would pull the ball and try to dump the powder before getting into car.Thanks Paul, good points, I think that was the cause ( Compacted) Boar. Thanks Smoke.

Back