• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does wasp nest catch fire when shot?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Never used wasp nest before. We have a bumper crop of wasps around this year and lots of nests. Grabbed some while out checking trail cams today. Just wondering if it does/can catch fire when you shoot with it?

Never used wasp nest before. We have a bumper crop of wasps around this year and lots of nests. Grabbed some while out checking trail cams today. Just wondering if it does/can catch fire when you shoot with it?
The wasp nest I have used did not burn. it tends to shred on leaving the barrel of my smoothbore.
LBL

The wasp has already done that using its own "saliva" to bond the wood fibers into nesting structure material, so maybe you could say it's already fireproofed and prelubed.
That was a joke man. Could you imagine how unpleasant one of those would be dissolving while ya chewed on it? That junk would be stuck in your teeth and memory forever.

That was a joke man. ....
I use spit on my wads and patches. Never tried a wasp nest before, so it was simply a matter of transference to a different media. Sure it's a joke (as my reply was also a semi-joke), but it's possible. You don't have to chew it, just spit on it. If I can get ahold of some wasp nest I might just try it.

Friend had a nest to be knocked down and I asked him to save it for me, but it turned out to be hornets, not paper wasps. The exterminator had to suit up to get rid of it.

Last edited:
I use spit on my wads and patches. Never tried a wasp nest before, so it was simply a matter of transference to a different media. Sure it's a joke (as my reply was also a semi-joke), but it's possible. You don't have to chew it, just spit on it. If I can get ahold of some wasp nest I might just try it.

Friend had a nest to be knocked down and I asked him to save it for me, but it turned out to be hornets, not paper wasps. The exterminator had to suit up to get rid of it.
I have been in the pest control business for over 55 years and have removed hundreds of yellowjacket and bald face hornets nests. The outer grey paper like material covering the inner comb will burn as readily as newspaper if it is dry and lit with a match. The inner comb will burn a little and go out. [Of course, without the larvae in the cells.] I have never shot any nest material out of my smoothbores so I can't say if it will ignite or smoulder when fired. Paul

Mine always disappears when shot. Never caused a problem except for serious leading on the walls of my barrels from using bare ball. That is why I prefer patched rbs in my smoothies.

They do not catch fire after being shot with a shotgun. However, when doused with a suitable accelerant and ignited with a lighter or match, they burn quite nicely.
I can’t comment on nesting for wadding, but I had a ground wasp nest stuck up on a shelf in my then new shop. I stuck it there cause it looked like an alien brain! I was grinding a pipe fit up and got called by my wife to come hither and go to the movies with her. When I got back I happened to look up and see a big black burn mark up on the sheetrock. Bout burned myself out of a shop and house!

Latest posts

Back