• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Doglock lock problems...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I have this new to me doglock British musket reprodiction. Not an Indian one. Here's the post about it: https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...musket-supposed-to-be-and-who-made-it.185978/

The lock has a problem, maybe- I'm too ignorant to know if it is supposed to be like this. The tumbler, between the half cock and cock down position, has a sort of flat spot- actually a little depression. When cocking the lock there's a definite harder effort spot there, and when letting down the same spot interrupts the smooth fall of the cock. The sear nose gets hung up and bumps there, but the cock does go on and finish the stroke. My experience of sidelocks is that the fall of the cock is smooth, but maybe the early ones had an intentional rough spot? Maybe to soften the impact of the flint?

The lock is otherwise of, to my eye, good modern construction. Aside from this, everything works smoothly and there don't appear to be any spots where the parts interfere or mark each other. None of the springs rub on the lock plate.

I've added pictures of the lock inside, and as best I could pictures of the flat spot.

View attachment IMG_2022.JPG

Sear nose is at the "flat spot"-
IMG_2026.JPG

You can see that the flat spot is actually below the curved surface of the tumbler, it's not been brightened by friction with the sear nose.
IMG_2027.JPG

I don't know who made the lock, I bought it second hand. I would think the fix, if it is not meant to be this way, would be to stone the tumbler surface out to a smooth curve and eliminate the flat spot/depression. I don't think heat treatment would be an issue, the sear nose just rests on the surface- although obviously the sear spring is very stout!

Thank you for your assistance.

Latest posts

Back