• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Barrel Shotguns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Spanish 12ga double that was produced by (year unknown) that to me replicates some of the originals fairly well. I bought it for $160 in 1995. It shoots very good, although I don't use her as much as I would like. I'll get some photos posted tomorrow.

Here is my 12ga double.

ei8q6u.jpg

2akl1sl.jpg

It is light and slim. Points very good.

rit2xs.jpg

2q1b87c.jpg

Sorry if I was misunderstood. The newer reproductions with the better stock designs are easier to shoot unless you have a unique body shape. Still, I like the looks of the originals and figure that dealing with a less than optimal fit might be part of the deal. In other words if you are a competitive muzzle loading trap shooter and all you want to do is win- go with a more modern shaped stock. If you want to bond with the past, then think about one of the old designs- if that makes sense.
I'm going to check out some of the originals- thanks to all for the sources.

crockett said:
Sorry if I was misunderstood. The newer reproductions with the better stock designs are easier to shoot unless you have a unique body shape

I agreed with you the first time around. Why should I settle for reproduction when I can have guns made by the greatest gunsmiths who ever lived for not a lot more.

LTC William Barrett Travis had a SxS shotgun at The Siege of the Alamo, which he brought with him from SC in 1834.
(It is debatable as to whether it was a flinter or percussion.)

IF (a huge IF, imVho.) it is the DB that is claimed by the Torres family of Jalisco, Mexico to be Travis's shotgun, it is a double-barrel English flinter.

yours, satx

Third Sergeant Moses Austin Bryan, nephew of Stephen F. Austin, during the fight at San Jacinto, carried "...a double-barrel shotgun and had shot only four times when we crossed the breastworks. After that I shot no more at the poor devils who were running." He certainly was more charitable than most that day. Moses Bryan wore a rather "incongruous ensemble" of buckskin britches & moccasins, a big sombrero and an old clawhammer-tailed frock coat that had belonged to his distinguished uncle, Stephen F. Austin. He had three Mexican balls whistle through the coat's skirts on the ride up to the breastworks.

Couldn't get this added in time....

Another double-shotgun guy was Robert McAlpin Williamson, better known in Texas as "Three-Legged Willie" from his physical disability of a permanently frozen back right leg (at the knee) and his strap-on peg-leg from the knee to the ground. He wore various trousers especially cut to cover both natural feet and wooden clunker. The guy was a frontiersman, ranger, judge and a noted user of a fine, large double-barreled shotgun which was easier to use on horseback. He was also noted for his "suit of buckskin, smudged and stiff from the elements, and a fur cap with no fewer than nine coon tails attached"...now there's an outfit! The Texas mounted rangers learned the same lesson relearned by Southern cavalry three decades later...gotta watch how you touch off a load of "blue whistlers" from horseback. You can pepper friend as well as foe with a load of shot!!

One source lists shotguns as being "ubiquitous" in revolutionary Texas but doesn't give a source, so...

"He was more charitable than most ------" = That is the understatement of the day.

The aftermath of San Jacinto is correctly called: THE GREAT KILLING, which MAY have gone on for as much as 72 hours.
(Committing a WAR CRIME/ATROCITY like La Bahia at Goliad will generally bite the offending army right in the "Toucas".)

It was AFTER the battle was over that the pitiful cry, "ME NO ALAMO, ME NO GOLIAD" was commonly heard from the hapless Mexican soldiers.

yours, satx

I always smirk when someone calls San Jacinto an 18 minute battle. That just counted till they hit the barricades and then it was "Katie bar the door"! For all the terror and panic that afternoon, I've always wondered what the response was when Juan Seguin's company of Tejanos came in screaming, "Recuerden el Alamo!"?

Even in the midst of that carnage, Houston made the rounds roaring, "Parade, men! Parade, men!" and Dr. Labadie says when that didn't work he started shouting, "Gentlemen! Gentlemen! Gentlemen!" till some stopped the slaughter long enough for Houston to bawl out, "Gentlemen, I applaud your bravery. But damn your manners!".

Have noticed a couple other comments about double-barreled shotguns during the Texas Revolution but most are sans origin or definite reference, unfortunately.

J. Frank Dobie said that CPT Seguin's company were heard screaming during the attack, "RECUERDEN LA BAHIA!"
(That is, "REMEMBER GOLIAD!", for those who don't speak Tejano.)

The Tejanos and Mexicans, whether "Constituionalistas", "Soldados de Coahuila Libre" or "Insurreccionalistas" (often called "Insurrectos" in period documents) from Texas and Coahuila, were horrified by "La Gran Masacre" at La Bahia.

Particularly for the "Insurreccionalistas", who ONLY wanted to overthrow the dictator and restore The Constitution of 1824, The Siege of the Alamo (which they called, "La Batalla de Bexar") was not necessarily "a big deal" but Goliad was, "Una Gran Infamia".
(Truthfully there was a wide "gulf" between the "heart's desires" of Tejanos, "Luchadores de Coahuila" and the "Insurrectos" and to some degree between the Anglos and Tejanos.)

Note: The war-cry of "Los Luchadores" at San Jacinto was, "Libertad de Coahuila".

yours, satx

Never built a flintlock muzzleloader be for Iam running into a lot of problems with the built by not having all the parts be for starting. the last item I purchase were the manton locks. I did salvage the barrels and breech plugs by having a friend mig weld them and re filing. having trouble getting under lug to stick ordered
order 650deg solder from brownels hope not to loosen the ribs trying to put under lug on
Bill perry

Whoa :shocked2:

Usually you do each successive joint with a lower MP solder.

The barrels were either brazed in Belgium or soft soldered in England.

If soft soldered with a Tin/Lead (Sn/Pb) solder you will have to be incredibly quick to avoid boiling the tin out of the mix.

If you are too slow solder quickly goes from shiny metal to sludgy paste and stops sticking.

Back