• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

double flinter??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joel:
NOW i know how you get those small group sizes when yer shooting!

O' afflicted<<<<<<<<< addicted one, if'n you're implying something about my measuring, I'll have you know I record extreme spread (just like the double's pans), not sorta center-to-center! Measurement's measurement, not eyealling from, oh, about there to, ummm.., about ... there!

Even if you're not implyin', you likely will before Saturday. I'll see you at Swan's, Sir!

"hello my name is hornhead and i shoot smooth bores"

.... and it's all joels fault!

No it ain't - it's Wes's fault! He started me down this slippery path! It's not like I've been lusting after a flint double for the last, oh, 25 years! Nope, not in the least!

And I'm sticking to that story!

Joel

"...it's Wes's fault."

Guilty as charged!

As you all notice Joel is in Canada. Sending the double flinter nearly hair-lipped the two governments involved. The gun sat in Canadian customs for a week with both of us waiting in limbo. I'd finally had aenough and dialed up UPS and told them to et the gun to Joel aor fork over the moolah! "It's not our fault, you have to contact Canadian Customs"...so I told them I'd handed it to them and they were responsible, my uncle said so! Then I informed them said uncle was a federal judge!! The gun went out the next day!! Would have loved to hear the conversation between UPS and the Canadian Customs. Also going to have to get a judge for an uncle...first I'll have to get an uncle!!!!!!!!!!! :: :thumbsup:

Cody,
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :peace:
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

at any rate- i'm in deep KAKA cuz i found a double flinter. and the little lady knows guntoys so there's no sneaky way of doing this. (ponder,ponder, mutter, mutter)
time we all had a real-time town house meeting!

Yeah, but how well does She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed know your frontstuffers? Can't you just tell her you left the Pedersoli and the J.B. in the back window of the car and they kind-of melted and stuck together? Then just don't let her see all three at the same time until y'all're back from vacation, or until after her next big present from you, or 'til she's bought something she wants to hide from you?

C'mon - you can be devious enough when you really need to!

Joel

P.S. - I wanna see this toy!
p.p.s. - yup - it's kinda slow at work today.

devious?? moi?? :shocking:
you must be thinking of someone else.
i have never told a lie in my life. :winking:

no money has crossed palms yet. he was going to send it with his son sometime for me to take a look at. i'll definitely have a show and tell b4 i buy it. price seems reasonable. depends on workmanship and soul.
it HAS to have soul! it's a zen thing :peace:

very , very nice cody , what locks did you use are the of your own making or did you puchase them ?

well i picked up my double flinter at the bus depot.
this critter's big. 3 5/8 o/s of pan to pan. takes a big mitt to cock the left hammer. siler locks, l&r dble triggers.
pretty nice balance really, weight is about 7-8#. with the width it's not something i'd want to be walking miles with, looking for sharptails or grouse. got the jackie brown trade gun for that kind of stomping anyway.
this could be the ticket for waterfowl pass shooting tho.
gots ta do some pondering, but i'm thinking it might be a keepr.
don't know how to post pics but maybe joel does. we're going to have a show and tell at a buddy's house later. going to compare this one to the one joel got from Wes. his is a really beaut.

Greetings All,

This is my first post so if everyone feels I should just start a new thread with my question, I will pull this one and move it. In any case, I have been shooting a .50 cal Austin & Halleck mountain rifle for a few years and now want to start shooting a SxS flint. I pretty much shoot my A&H for everything at this point so I expect that I will use the SxS for both hunting and trap.

In my area, I would use the SxS for turkey, grouse, pheasant, trap, etc. Therefore, I was hoping I could get a few recommendations on reasonably priced (under $2k or so) but good quality 12 to 16 gauge flinters.

My preference would be an old gun (pre-1840's gun, but I suspect for what I want to spend - all I will find is junk). (My wife has limited me on price as she feels spending much more would be a touch excessive as we just started building a new house and we now have three college educations to worry about. I keep trying to tell her that certain guns would be a stellar investment, but, she doesn't seem to buy it...) Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

well sluice and i put the beast thru it's paces. good lock time, good barrels.patterns according to sluice -left barrel is improved modified, right barrel is modified. barrels foul up quickly but i was using elephant 3f.
couldn't hit clay birds in the air but that's no sweat. certainly not the gun's fault. some practice, i'll be deadly. it's a keeper. ::

davidp- you may have trouble getting into a double flinter for that kind of money. i'd go to a mortimer single barrel and go out and wack fowls.
original flint shotguns - check them out carefully with a gunsmith before you touch them off. some barrels are damascus, some barrels are just old and tired.
:m2c:

Only the wrist and barrels of a double are gripped, not the forewood at all. The only time the front wood would be gripped, is with a full stocked or 1/2 stocked single barreled firearms - or perhaps a double with a long 1/2 stock.
: Most doubles have splinter forends on them, so only the barrels are gripped. They are generally gripped just ahead of the entry pipe, not on the sides of the stock at all. Gripping the wood ahead of the locks would be very bad form indeed, as well as being slow swinging and inaccurate at well.
: I've shot trap with a flint double in 12 bore and it shot just fine.

Shush Darryl,

I enjoyed watching him miss everything I threw for him. Don'tget to see that very often with Hornhead,

AB aka Sluice

it were sloppy throwing by a vole eared ring tailed rat that did me in! ::
couldn't be MY fault ... could it ::
this guns got a beaver tail forestock, but i'll give daryl's hints a try.
nice thing about hitting nothing is there's lot's of room for improvement!

Another hint, perhaps - you have to KEEP SWINGING the barrels wayyyyyyy past the bird.
: Cap(lock)-guns are almost like shooting the Beretta SXS, but the flinters do require a bit more follow-through. This is true even for those super-fast ignition types with 1/10" vents.

I'm a new member and after reading your posting about a double flinter, thought I would give my cent worth. I too had wanted a double flint shotgun. I did find one and paid way too much, but I wanted it, so I now have it. If you can make it to Friendship, Indiana for one of the national shoots you may find one there, I did. If there are none, go to the shotgun range and talk to the flint shooters, as there are a couple of people building them( no memory for names). They are expensive, $2,000 and up, but in my opinion well worth it!! Mine is a 13 gage built around 1988 with 2 sets of barrels. The locks are recessed into the breechplugs and it isn't much wider than a normal 12 gage. Also there is a book on how to build double flinters, so get it read it and get after it or find someone with that kind of talent and give it to them.

Back