• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Rifles, who's using them?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious about the caliber and weight of your rifle? In Montana I would think it would be a good choice in a larger caliber should the need arise to use it against Mr. Fuzzy. I've often wondered about that, if in fact it may be just a sense of false security. Up here in Alaska we hear the stories and see the results of bear attacks and more often than not even with semi-autos and high caliber weaponry the bear wins.

Nice looking rifle and deer. :thumbsup:

Absolutely. Although I hunted successfully earlier during the season in eastern Montana (45-70), I have one tag unfilled. Having .72- and .58-caliber Kodiak rifles, I intend to use the .72-caliber Safari (a second one is en route). Both rifles weigh 10 pounds unloaded ± a few ounces. Hunting Lolo where I live involves walking to my area (about 15 minutes) then making myself part of the woodwork. Too much of a city kid to still hunt, with "seeing" range being well under 100 yards - mostly under 50 yards - a regulated double rifle does not handicap me.

Why the Safari? I'm using a fantasy gun, just enjoying the moment.

The most surprising things about both rifles are:
- Both are VERY accurate with heavy loads;

- Both shoot VERY close to the same cone of aim/impact at 80 yards (the farthest I've tested) using the same load for each rifle's respective barrels. This translates to being able to sight in using one rear sight. It also will allow me during the coming year to get rid of the loathsome Kodiak folding double rear sight in favor of a Brockman wing protected aperture sight. To obtain best result with the Brockman sight, I'll need to adjust each barrel's load to force closer mutual impact.

The only downside to using Kodiaks, and it's not much of a downside because recoil from my loads are challenging, is that reloading in the field for a third follow-up shot is not going to happen. Two shots is it. Reloading is not something to rush with two barrels.

Montana has no general muzzleloading gun season. Those restricted hunts where only muzzleloaders can be used permit double barrels.

And for anyone who might be interested, my .58-caliber Kodiak is available.

As said, double rifles need not be heavy. My first double was a very petite swivel breech 45 cal. made by Leonard Day. It only weighed 7 1\2 lbs. and was a joy to gaze upon as well as tote through the thick swamp behind my house. I now hunt with my old German sxs rifle. Sometimes the 54 jaeger. It sure is nice to have choices! :wink:
P1000242.jpg
P1000245.jpg

The Kodiak is a beautiful rifle. Never convinced myself to pay the price. Been hunting deer in Illinois with a CVA .50 Double that I bought used back in the late '80's. Tried various bullets and couln't hit the same target with both barrels. Tried round balls and shoots 8" groups with both barrels at 75 yards. Good enough for deer. Have hit deer at 80 to 100 yards with it. Prefer 50 yards and under shots. Mine is an early gun without the adjustment screws on the end of the barrel. Shoot 90 grains of Pyrodex Triple seven.

Now I'm going to have to get that gun out and shoot it. I bought it because it turned out to be a .54 (Cabella's model) and those had the 1:66 twist barrels. Haven't checked mine but I believe it should be that as it was made in the 90's. Figure it will do good with round balls. Don't hunt anything but paper anyhow.

One plus on the Kodiaks is you can add the shotgun barrels, if I'm not mistaken. That is, if you can find and afford them.

I have a 56cal double made by Wilkinson in 1841 It shoots a .550" ball and 75gr 2fg with enough authority to dispatch a large moose at an honest 100 paces It holds beautifully and is not a problem for an old feller to carry I am too old and lazy to haul moose out of the bush these days so I stick to deer. I have a .45cal double underhammer for them but it's very heavy so doesn't go far these days either cheers Ian.

Latest posts

Back