• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

douglas barrel in 45 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
anyone have info on a douglas barrel in 45 cal for a long rifle

buzz said:
anyone have info on a douglas barrel in 45 cal for along rifle

Douglas had some barrels fail and got out of ML barrels some years ago.
The standard Douglas barrel was 8 grooves with a 66" twist. They were all straight octagonal.

If buying a barrel its easier to buy a new Green Mountain barrel.
Dan

I have heard mention of Deer Creek having or having access to, tohe old douglas rifling machine.
..dont knowfor certain, but have read refernce to this a few times here and elsewhere!

Dan is right that Douglas has been out of the ML barrel business for a number of years. IMHO, Douglas premium barrels were pretty good barrels, but not any better than what is currently available. GM, Rice, Rayl, DeHass, and a few others make match grade barrels that will shoot one hole groups...if you are steady enough to hold 'em that close. If you are looking for a barrel.

God bless

I have one on my target rifle that has over 4000 rounds through it and it is still my favorite rifle to shoot. The land to lands are .453 twist 1 in 66. I saw a "new" one advertised on a forum site about two years ago and still kick myself for not buying it.

I don't know the accuracy of it but I heard years ago that Colrain had bought douglas's barrel business.

Douglas barrels are still one of the brands that I like a bunch. I have never had one that didn't shoot good. You will have to position the runout of the bore on the breech end of the barrel correctly when installing the breech plug. That is the only extra work I see with them, but I check all the other brands I use when building a rifle as well.
Roger Sells

Latest posts

Back