• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Douglas barrel numbers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFeather

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Just picked up a Hawken with a .54 No. 6 barrel. Anyone know their barrel marking system? Did a search but only see modern barrels. Thought you builder craftsmen might know.
Thanks in advance!

How is that written out (stamped).

Douglas typically had the caliber and twist on the barrel just as a pair of numbers, as in -

36 66
54 66

Should have added - "Douglas" was stamped in the barrel and sometimes a pair of X's in a circle (if it was a premium factory barrel).

Other numbers/names stamped in could have been added by the builder etc.

I believe Dixie used Douglas barrels back in the day for some of their guns/kits.

Douglas stopped making ML barrels after some issues that resulted in lawsuit(s).

Bottom flat is marked in small, clearly stamped letter "G R Douglas 54" followed by "NO 6" in larger size with the letters in an old style font. Might have been applied by the builder.

Guess I will call her Old No 6. And call the shop where it was on consignment to see if the seller has any information.

I don't think Douglas stamped that No.6 on it, I think someone else did. I have probably owned 30+ Douglas barrels & probably have 6 here now, from 13/16" to 1 1/8" across the flats, never seen any of them serial numbered or marked any other way other than: GR Douglas or GR Douglas XX and on the end of the barrel they said the rate of twist & cal. such as: 66 .40 or such. Almost all of them I have owned were new older stock & unused, most of them were unbreeched & 43.5" long. And I have looked at hundreds of them for sale or being used in past years, all were marked the same. :idunno:
And thinking on that now, all of them I had were a 1-66 twist. I don't recall any of them being any other twist. I know Douglas made other twist as they made allot of dif. barrels for many styles of rifles, but all of mine were oct. ML barrels & all were 1-66 twist.

Keith Lisle

Douglas typically had the caliber and twist on the barrel just as a pair of numbers, as in -

36 66
54 66

I have handled a number of Douglas barrels, never saw that.
Douglas stopped making barrels because the ml market was going down. The lawsuit stuff is rumor.

The ones straight from the factory, uncrowned, has the ROT & the Caliber stamped in them at the end of the muzzle. They are normally aprox. 43 1/2" long. The breech ends are drilled & tapped for a breechplug, but none of them actually came with a breechplug installed. I thought I had about 6, turns out there are 9 or 10 & I quit digging in the barrel safe & I am not digging them all out. :redface: I had 3 out & took photos, when done & pulled them up on computer found I was too close & they blurred. So went back & got another out took another photo & this is it.

A Douglas XX barrels will have a XX inside a oval stamped with GR Douglas & the cal.

Now some companies (such as Golden Age Arms) that had them made for them by Douglas, were special order & had the muzzles crowned & that stamping machined off the end of the muzzle. In GAA's case, the one I have says Made by GR Douglas for The Golden Age Arms Co.

Douglas made many barrels for many companies up until aprox. 1980, (Lawsuit time) however every Douglas barrel I ever saw, actually said GR Douglas stamped on the barrel on a flat near the breech.
Allot of people claim... their no-name barrel is a Douglas, but without that stamping, it could be anyone's barrel. Allot of barrel makers can cut the same grooves, same twist, same depth, etc. , & try to pass it off as a Douglas.

As for the lawsuit, from what I remember back then & the people I talked to then, it did happen & it cost them a small fortune to fight the suit, even tho it was a frivolous law suit against them. The Questioned barrel was loaded with modern Rifle Powder, blew & they sued. Douglas was found not liable. However, whether you are Right or Wrong, anyone can sue you anytime, for basically anything. That does not mean the suit can go on, it simply means anyone can file & you may have to defend yourself. You can believe it is rumor or not, really makes no dif.

As for them losing money on the ML barrels or not enough market, :grin: they were making Thousands of them & a Douglas barrel was THE barrel to have at the time & they had most of the quality barrel business.
IMHO, Douglas getting out of the BP business opened doors for Paris, Getz, Green Mountain, Oregon, Orion, & a host of other barrel companies. Altho some of the other companies were started & selling some barrels, Douglas name & reputation was Top Dog and when it quit the ML barrels, it was an open market.

That is how I see it anyway. Lots of dif. opinions on it. :idunno:

Keith Lisle

Latest posts

Back