• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to Muzzleloaders!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all! My name is Ryan and I’m new to this forum. A year ago I began reading about muzzleloaders and percussion revolvers as research for a frontier-era novel I’m writing. In my reading (and many YouTube videos) I became fascinated with these historic pieces and now hope to own a few someday.

I’m 39 and have never owned a gun of any kind. I joined the forum to learn more about black powder guns for my story, but also to understand them for myself. I’m looking forwarding to learning all I can, and am excited to shoot some of these someday!
Howdy from North Texas. We all started not knowing much, if anything, about muzzleloaders. This site has helped me tremendously.
I hope it does the same for you.

Welcome aboard and good luck on your novel.

I will say do your research and learn from handling these firearms personally. The Black Powder enthusiasts of this forum are a rather well informed lot. You want to learn historic information you found the right crowd. These fellas constantly amaze me with the sheer depths of their collected knowledge down to the minutia and esoteric.

I'd suggest finding the guns your protagonists and antagonists will use and focusing on those weapons and the time periods before.

You don’t need an expensive outfit to get started. If you ask around, you might find a rifle that’s fit to shoot for a pittance….

Most of the accoutrements can be homemade. Most of us on this forum started out that way, and continue that way. Making stuff is actually simpler than it looks. You just have to sort out in your mind’s eye how to go about it, and then set to it. Specialized tools aren’t particularly necessary and can come later. Just make do with what you can scrounge up cheaply (or borrow).

Recycling materials from other uses can save a lot of money. Browse the thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets with “materials” in mind, and you’ll be surprised what you can come up with.

Good luck with it! Holler if you have questions. There’s lots of help and advice to be had here in the forum.

I will say do your research and learn from handling these firearms personally. The Black Powder enthusiasts of this forum are a rather well informed lot. You want to learn historic information you found the right crowd. These fellas constantly amaze me with the sheer depths of their collected knowledge down to the minutia and esoteric.

I'd suggest finding the guns your protagonists and antagonists will use and focusing on those weapons and the time periods before.

You don’t need an expensive outfit to get started. If you ask around, you might find a rifle that’s fit to shoot for a pittance….

Most of the accoutrements can be homemade. Most of us on this forum started out that way, and continue that way. Making stuff is actually simpler than it looks. You just have to sort out in your mind’s eye how to go about it, and then set to it. Specialized tools aren’t particularly necessary and can come later. Just make do with what you can scrounge up cheaply (or borrow).

Recycling materials from other uses can save a lot of money. Browse the thrift stores, yard sales and flea markets with “materials” in mind, and you’ll be surprised what you can come up with.

Good luck with it! Holler if you have questions. There’s lots of help and advice to be had here in the forum.

Howdy from North Texas. We all started not knowing much, if anything, about muzzleloaders. This site has helped me tremendously.
I hope it does the same for you.
I'm an E. Tennessean presently in N. GA a.mile from the line. Eagerly looking forward to deer muzzleloader season with a new to me .50 CVA percussion pistol. Dunno the period your novel's set in, but folks here can almost certainly advise on period likely weaponry + dragged along from past likelies. Nothing like accuracy & detail to draw readers of discriminating tastes.

I'm an E. Tennessean presently in N. GA a.mile from the line. Eagerly looking forward to deer muzzleloader season with a new to me .50 CVA percussion pistol. Dunno the period your novel's set in, but folks here can almost certainly advise on period likely weaponry + dragged along from past likelies. Nothing like accuracy & detail to draw readers of discriminating tastes.
The book will be set in 1870. It will feature a variety of black powder weapons used in the Civil War, and before that. I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions, because I want to describe them accurately!

I appreciate it, thanks!

I appreciate it, thanks

Thank you! Among the guns featured in the book will be the Kentucky rifle, Leman Trade Rifle, Springfield 1861, a Ketland musket, Colt Dragoon, Colt 1851 Navy, and a few others. I’m researching all I can on these guns specifically.

I appreciate it, thanks

Thank you! Among the guns featured in the book will be the Kentucky rifle, Leman Trade Rifle, Springfield 1861, a Ketland musket, Colt Dragoon, Colt 1851 Navy, and a few others. I’m researching all I can on these guns specifically.
Sounds like 1858 Army could rid

Back