• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Douglas barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
steve1122 said:
Can anyone give me any information on Douglas barrels? Mainly, how they were marked, and were there different grades of them?

XX was the best if so marked at the muzzle.
They were made of octagonal cold drawn bar stock, I am told it was 12L14 but no confirmation. I know there were failures.
This being the case they always had some runout at the breech which had to be put in the 6 or 12 oclock position or the sights might be way out of center to get ball impact to align with the sights.
The last barrels appeared to have been either hot rolled or annealed after being formed as these had very hard oxide scale on them. It would require testing to know if the alloy was changed.
They were very accurate but some will show "drawing lines" in the bore and/or on the exterior after some use.
8 groove 66 twist. 8 groove 48 twist. 7 groove 48 twist.
Dan

I have two Douglas barrels, both marked essentially the same. The .40 is a 1:66 twist, 8 groove, land diameter .403", groove diameter .427".

barrel.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Spence

When I bought mine in .54 directly from Douglas I was told they weren't making any more muzzle loading barrels and the one I got was from the last of their inventory.It was an xx grade eight lands and 1 in 66 twist, one inch across the flats. I have no idea of the alloy.MD

The XX grade (I have three of them) was simply a regular barrel pulled off the line and inspected for minimal run-out and straightness.
The stamping was intended to be placed on either the upper or lower flat so the ball would not go left or right.
Some metalurgists and steel fanatics did not like the steel used in Douglas barrels. But, countless thousands were sold and are still used in ml rifles. They were fine barrels.

Mine did not have a serial number on it only Douglas, .54 cal and xx as I remember . I think I still have the invoice around here somewhere.MD

I still have an old DGW catalog where they filled a short piece with BP, stuck a fuse in it, and said all the gas went out the vent hole.

Rifleman1776 said:
The XX grade (I have three of them) was simply a regular barrel pulled off the line and inspected for minimal run-out and straightness.
The stamping was intended to be placed on either the upper or lower flat so the ball would not go left or right.
Some metalurgists and steel fanatics did not like the steel used in Douglas barrels. But, countless thousands were sold and are still used in ml rifles. They were fine barrels.

flintlock62 said:
I still have an old DGW catalog where they filled a short piece with BP, stuck a fuse in it, and said all the gas went out the vent hole.

Rifleman1776 said:

The DGW catalog is not, and never has been, a 'bible' of ml'ing. Some of their charts are incorrect.
I believe that full barrel test has created many misimpressions about the effectiveness of bp and safety of barrels. Somewhere I saw a similar test with plain galvanized water pipe. Didn't blow up but that doesn't make it safe to use as a barrel.

Back