• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

where can i buy used black powder revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look on here for a used gun. If your only option is a black powder firearm for carry I would look for a Remington 1858 in 44 caliber. They are reasonably reliable and easy to cut down for concealed carry. Here is a photo of one cut down.

Attachments

• 72108478578__85D31F00-32C6-4255-9773-6F13486CCBAB.jpeg
    72108478578__85D31F00-32C6-4255-9773-6F13486CCBAB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
There's also the 1858 Navy. The Navy designates 36 caliber.
6-1/2 inch barrel.
Top one is the Navy compared to the Army.

Attachments

• 20240812_091519.jpg
    20240812_091519.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
In Calif. even BP arms are illegal to have.
My brother has a buddy who is a felon. He wanted to buy a revolver from me. I told him to check with the local law enforcement where he intends to carry it. They are the ones that are more than likely are going to pull you over or whatever.
I asked the local game warden about carrying a black powder revolver or rifle while hunting deer. He told me I could use a muzzleloader anytime during season. But he also told me he wasn't sure of shooting one with the revolver unless I was confident it would bring a deer down. He also said if I was a felon he wouldn't question my carrying a loaded revolver while hiking. Depends on what they want to do about it. If he questioned my ability to be safe with it, it would be up to a judge.
Don't be afraid, ASK

There are reasons for not allowing someone to purchase guns ..... not only just being a felon. The O.P might consider a bit different life style if he is that sure of being a target of violence. He might consider talking to a professional concerning his fears as well. Either way he does not warrant my help in getting a weapon....if he can't figure it out himself.

Not true. Many states consider even BP weapons to be firearms, Maine included.
In Pennsylvania if your a fellon you can’t even carry a pen knife, I worked with a guy that went through just that and he said they are quick to want to throw you back in jail for any weapon infraction Gun BP or Knife.

There are reasons for not allowing someone to purchase guns ..... not only just being a felon. The O.P might consider a bit different life style if he is that sure of being a target of violence. He might consider talking to a professional concerning his fears as well. Either way he does not warrant my help in getting a weapon....if he can't figure it out himself.
Im
In Pennsylvania if your a fellon you can’t even carry a pen knife, I worked with a guy that went through just that and he said they are quick to want to throw you back in jail for any weapon infraction Gun BP or Knife.
Here in Texas I heard a felon can have a shotgun in his/her house. But they can't buy one.
That makes a lot of sense 🤔

No other options ???

Stop fooling around with a BP for EDC. Purchase a smokeless cartridge revolver.
If you couldn't figure out how to repair a small BP part then you need a modern revolver.
FYI, if it’s illegal for you to carry a modern pistol, it’s certainly illegal for you to carry a black powder pistol. All you’re going to do is get yourself in trouble and cause problems for the rest of us. There are avenues for getting your rights restored; look into it.
Jay

I have 2 of the navy’s coming, that is if fedex ever decides to ship them to me.
I swear, FedEx is absolutely the worst for shipping firearm related stuff. I think they intentionally delay those shipments and then screw around with you by posting bad tracking info. I've had more than one shipment where the tracking indicated "out for delivery" but they didn't actually get delivered until two days later.

I swear, FedEx is absolutely the worst for shipping firearm related stuff. I think they intentionally delay those shipments and then screw around with you by posting bad tracking info. I've had more than one shipment where the tracking indicated "out for delivery" but they didn't actually get delivered until two days later.
Mine were shipped Wednesday and said arriving Thursday then Friday now it is sitting in in a fedex in North Carolina with the ship date not given! I even called and got no results! A couple weeks ago I got a shipment for an Ecoflow solar battery at the cost of 1500.00. They left it sitting in my driveway 25’ from the road in a busy residential neighborhood. I guess the 30 extra feet to the front door was too much to ask ! Fortunately I made it home before someone stole it! I honestly don’t have much faith that these guns will even show up!

There are a number of non-felony reasons a person cannot lawfully buy a modern smokeless firearm. Perhaps this person uses cannabis for lawful medical reasons under state law. Perhaps this person is not a citizen or green card holder. Perhaps the person had prior mental health issues and was committed to a mental institution. Perhaps they renounced their US citizenship. Let’s not be too quick to reach conclusions without further information.

Also keep I mind that State and even local laws may apply to your situation and may limit your ability to carry or possess any form of weapon.

To the O.P. Keep in mind that as the barrel shortens, the power of a BP revolver decreases rapidly. Below 5 1/2 inches you start getting into 25 ACP and 22 LR levels of power even with a 44 or 50 cal. There was a good reason why those old cap and ball revolvers had long barrels…

as the title says im looking for where i can buy used black powder revolvers. i had an 1851 navy that the hand spring broke on before i ever even got to shoot it and taylor & co ghosted me almost immediately when i asked to return it. i am new to black powder stuff and i rely on these for my self defence as i have no other options so i wanted it to be professionally repaired(until i learn more about them) or returned and buy a new one. luckily Midway is amazing and sent a return label right away without any question because it was brand new, unfired. they normally dont accept black powder returns. so now i am in the market for another black powder revolver. i did buy a pietta cattleman the minute i found out my navy was broken because as stated its my only means to defend myself if the occasion should arise, but now i am looking for a cheap used revolver that i could turn into a snub nose for my EDC conceal carry as its legal in my state without a permit and the cattleman is just a bit long to carry comfortably in my IWB holster so i have to open carry which has lead to the police being called twice on me already in just a few days.

if someone could point me in the direction of a credible place i can buy a used revolver i would greatly appreciate it!
Check out our classifieds. Just that easy.

Fedex got a pistol from Texas to Montana pretty quick for budsgunshop.
Ordered Friday arrived today I was kind of surprised.

FedEx Express shipping is good, but I've had some really bad experiences using FedEx ground. They are contractors to FedEx and I have had delivery drivers lie and say they made a delivery attempt saying I wasn't there; they didn't leave a tag on the door either. My business has cameras at all of the doors a loading docks and all they do is try and cover up their laziness. As far as I am concerned UPS ground is by far the best service and they are reasonably priced.

You don't need a permit for *any* handgun in Maine. However, if you're a convicted felon, even a BP revolver is prohibited in Maine. State law makes no distinction on the ignition or powder type in defining firearms.

From Mainelegislature.org

And the Sections pertaining to who is prohibited, which goes beyond what I copied here.
Ohio has the same laws and restrictions. Felons aren't allowed possession of any firearm, blackpowder or smokeless.
Ohio Rusty ><>

FedEx Express shipping is good, but I've had some really bad experiences using FedEx ground. They are contractors to FedEx and I have had delivery drivers lie and say they made a delivery attempt saying I wasn't there; they didn't leave a tag on the door either. My business has cameras at all of the doors a loading docks and all they do is try and cover up their laziness. As far as I am concerned UPS ground is by far the best service and they are reasonably priced.
To be clear it was FedEx ground I had the problems with. And I agree that UPS ground is the best.

Many sates use the federal definition of a firearm and it says black powder is an exception to the rule and the main reason we can get these shipped to our homes. The OP said he wants something concealable because he has already had the cops called when open carrying, so one can assume he is legal in that regard because he isn't in jail or at the very least was arrested, bonded out and definitely knows the laws at this point in his jurisdiction. Either way gunbroker is good or on here in the classified section. Nothing wrong with new either but I would get a remington pattern, better nipples, treso, totw, or slixx and possibly get it goonerized from @45D since it will be for protection. I believe he does a coil spring conversion on those.

Many sates use the federal definition of a firearm and it says black powder is an exception to the rule and the main reason we can get these shipped to our homes. The OP said he wants something concealable because he has already had the cops called when open carrying, so one can assume he is legal in that regard because he isn't in jail or at the very least was arrested, bonded out and definitely knows the laws at this point in his jurisdiction. Either way gunbroker is good or on here in the classified section. Nothing wrong with new either but I would get a remington pattern, better nipples, treso, totw, or slixx and possibly get it goonerized from @45D since it will be for protection. I believe he does a coil spring conversion on those.
He appears to be in Maine because he has asked about public places to shoot here. He says he cannot get a permit for a cartridge gun (odd, because one doesn't need a permit in Maine), and says he won't elaborate on his circumstances. It leads us to believe he is (for whatever reason) a prohibited person. In Maine, even BP guns are firearms under the legal definition of restricted weapons.

It is possible he's legally a resident of another state where a permit is required, and not a resident of Maine, but he's not saying.

Back