• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dove debut with the 28ga Early Virginia

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
The 28ga Early Virginia made its debut on the dove field and did just fine.
Since my last trip with the 20ga a week ago all the tobacco had been picked and the fields bush-hogged. Completely changed their fly pattern and got very little action in the spot I’d used before but was able to put down 6, found 5.
The 28ga has taken Bucks, Does, and now doves...next up will try to bag some squirrels and a turkey to round things out.

09101228gaEarlyVirginiaDovedebut.jpg

I blew the first few shots until I remembered I was using a wide open cylinder bore and no shot cup...started managing my distance / picking my shots better and then was able to connect on a few

I'm more than a little impressed. It says a whole lot, not only about the balance of the gun, but also of the hands that are pointing it.

And yeah, it's a perty little thing, too!

Roundball,
You sure got some purty weapons. Someday I hope to own one of those fine longguns.

Jeff

roundball said:
I blew the first few shots until I remembered I was using a wide open cylinder bore and no shot cup...started managing my distance / picking my shots better and then was able to connect on a few

Nice! :thumbsup: Like you, when I take the "easy" shots with my scattergun I usually do well. Once in a while I'll get lucky and shoot a bird at longer distances.

GW

That is a pretty little gun.
I have been toying with the idea of getting something along these lines for my wife. If there ever was a one gun fits all kind of thing, I would say you have come about as close as is possible.

PJC

Definitely a good one...between it and it's 20ga sister, they've pretty well proven to me that they'll cover all my bases for hunting in NC...the 2 of them and a small caliber economical weekend plinker is really all I need to keep around

:thumbsup:
Very nice!

Is there any difference to mention between your 20 and this 28 for doving?

Silex

Well, interestingly, I ended up with the same number of birds using both...but I took a lot more shots with the 28ga to do it than the 20ga.
That's probably due to the Jug Choke in the 38" barreled 20ga, vs. the open cylinder bore in the 42" barreled 28ga;
I wanted to try it on a variety of game to see how it does, christen it if you will...but for any ongoing wingshooting the 20ga will be the gun of choice.
The 28ga is more for stationary targets like deer, squirrels, turkey and back-up to the 20ga.

Latest posts

Back