• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dragging deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catamount

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I hunt alone and nothing spoils the hunt like success. It's getting so that it takes it all out of me by the time i get back to the car. Feel like a dishrag by the time the deer is loaded.

Has anyone tried the two-wheeled deer carts like Cabela's and Gander Mt. sell? I usually tie a rope to a length of wood and just pull. Will welcome any suggestions for getting a 200 lb deer through woody & brushy terrain with blowdowns, roots, creeks and drywashes.

Catamount,I've been using Cabela's Super Mag Hauler for several years now,and wouldn't hunt without it.It's just about as easy to pull a deer on that cart as walking without it.I just leave it in the back of my truck until I need it.It's locked under the canopy.If you don't have a canopy,then use a bicycle lock to lock it to the truck.It would be VERY tempting to another hunter who had a deer a couple miles back in the woods.

I have thought about those wheeled carts for hauling deer, but, like you hunt in very similar terrain (blowdowns, rock, swamp) with very little flat even or open ground. I was afraid of spending all that money for one and finding out it was more work using it or would break too easily with heavy use.

Usually, I use a combination of a shoulder strap and a short, narrow length of wood to hold on to in order to distribute the load evenly as you lean into it. A short rope helps too by getting some of the deer's front off of the ground.

I hunt thick cover in hilly to almost moutainous (by eastern standards) terrian. I gave up on the wheeled carts some time back, they were more trouble then they were worth under these conditions. Couldn't get them through the real thick stuff. I use a sled type of thing now - don't know what the name of it is, bought it second hand. It is like a large kid's plastic tobogan or snow sled or like a shallow plastic bath tub. A long length of rope in a U around my waist to the sled saves tiring your arms and it is easily pulled over any type of level terrian. Waxing the bottom makes it even easier. Got a deer that has run to the bottom of a ravine (typical for me!), dress it, strap it into the sled and with a boat trailer winch strapped to a tree, I slowing ratchet sled and deer up the hill. Fast? No, but you make steady progess and eventually get the animal up with minimal physical investiment. Serious business though, if you are getting that tired, get on the cell phone and call a buddy to come out and help. Not worth vapor locking the old ticker and going belly up out in the woods dragging a deer.

I agree with J.R. on the wheeled cart being hard to handle in the thick stuff. I have graduated to the plastic sled also, but have not had the opportunity to use it yet. I has to be better than dragging a deer over dry ground. Even if you ruin it by wearing it through on the rocks and dirt, they only cost about $7, and that would be money well spent. If there was a few inches of snow on the ground, it would be about like dragging out a groundhog.

Get on the horn and have the buddy send his teen aged boys over to drag it out while you watch. Then take them hunting next year. (So they can do the dragging then too.)

Where I hunt it is just too danged nasty to get the little carts thru. I either drag them out to where we can pick them up with the Blue Mule, or quarter them and pack them out on a freighter pack frame.

I ran into some pilgrims a couple years ago that was dragging out a big buck. By his hind legs. They had run a pole through his hocks and were likin to die of heart failure. I had a piece of rope in my pack, so I donated it to them, tying the pole to the antlers so that they could take it out head first. It is amazing how much easier dead animals drag when you dont go against the grain of the hair.

I use what J.R. uses, also. Simple, cheap and works well. I think I paid something like $10-$12 for one.

When you knock one down in a cedar marsh with the thick under growth, you understand what work really is. I have to admit, I shot a big one a few years back and was almost to the point of leaving the deer to the coyotes. I was just plain done in.

I plotted the shortest path possible to an old skid trail. I finally got it near the old grown over logging skid trai. I then went and got my ATV and brought it out from there.

One thing I found that really helps drag the deer is my tree harness and an old canvas duffle bag. Like you had in the military. I had a hole put in the bottom of the bag which my tree harness strap that hooks to the tree goes through. Put the tree harness strap around the animals neck. The canvas bag is then put over the head and rolled down to cover the front shoulders. I then tie that down under the front legs. This keeps the deer from catching on every little root and hanging up. I think it helps slide better too.

I tie the front legs as flat to the body as I can, then once in the harness have a lot more pulling power.

I have my ancient web harness with the "D" ring and dacron line - sort of like this one.

20059.jpg

It helps to spread the strain out so you can loop it over a shoulder and put your back into it. And also lift the deer's head and legs up a bit.

But it's still a lot of work. I like the idea of the plastic sled. I may have to haul one out and bury it in the leaves until needed. Can't see still-hunting with one of those or a wheeled cart. Unless, if you could aim well enough when blazing down slope towards a startled deer while riding one.

Someone on another thread mentioned carrying a heavy plastic bag to hook to the deer so it slides better. That might be an idea, but the territory hereabouts is pretty rough. I've brought down deer that were pretty well hairless on one side by the time I made the road.

I suppose eventually I'll go the way of the wheeled cart. It makes a lot of sense hereabouts as there are usually well worn paths or logging roads near whereever the deer falls.

If the deer is too big to drag out; you make camp and start eating on it until it is small enough to drag out.
Otherwise the sled (plastic roll up type) works very well.

Years ago, I lived in the frozen north and my kids had the little plastic sleds. I use one of these when my friends with ATVs are not around. I have a harness from a tree stand that works pretty well in dragging.

However, I have been percolating on getting some sort of travois frame with wheels. One that is light and small that I could attach some locally procured poles to finish on site...

CS

I've used the Deer Slayer sleds for about 10 years now. Hunt on NF land about a mile from the car. No motorized vehicles allowed. Hauled about 15 deer with them. They wear out after a few but they are just great. When the snow is crusty or the leaves are dry you have to watch out the deer doesn't run you over going down hill. Sometimes I just aim it and let it go. They are noisey things so I always stuff them down in the big rucksack and even have a cover for one. If I don't get a deer after carrying it in I'll stuff it in a log or under a bush and go get it after I field dress the deer. I couldn't hunt without them. GC

i have a harness drag like the one stumpkiller posted that wal-mart sells for about 5bucks or so. it works very well. not sure of the laws where you are, but if it's still to big to drag, you may have to pack him out a bit at a time.

Bone it out on the spot and put the meat in game bags. Use a plastic bag to line your pack. 200 pound deer will be about 50 pounds of boned meat. We do it to elk and two guys can carry the meat of one elk in one trip. just meat, no heads or hides!

You are in an area where it is quite cold. You also are not out in a putrid swamp. I think that getting the kill to a fairly clean area to process is a better idea for some of us.

This reminds me, gotta go out and drain the water and add more ice to the meat chests. I bet you do not have to do that!

CS

Back