• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dragging deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any problems dragging out a 200lb deer. Ain't never shot one that big :rotf: . The thing that I find that works the best is to hunt uphill from the truck and then shoot a 90lb yearling. They are tender and drag easy. :haha:

Later
Z

I'm just taking this one here at the end..not necessarily replying to the post befor mine. I found that just taking a length of rope, tying it around the deer's antlers then tying a half hitch or two around the deer's muzzle sort of tilts the deer's head backwards. That way the antlers aren't snagging on every bit of brush along the way. I took a look at the Cabela's site...that "sled"...I dunno..with the deer's head it that position..nothing but asking for trouble, imo. Oh, one other thing...you want the rope to be just long enough that when you start your pull you are just starting to lift the deer's head off the ground..no sense in adding the weight of the head by carrying it, to long and you might not get the head tilted back. the idea of a wheeled cart wouldn't work where I've hunted...too much brush or swampy ground or very uneven terrain, not to mention to rocky. Ooops, one more thing...there is no need to cut the deer from sternum to pelvis to field dress it. All you need is to get the guts out, the esophagus and lungs can come out later or if you wish one can sort of lay down and reach up and cut the diaphragm and rake out the lungs by hand. The smaller cut you make, the cleaner the body cavity will stay. After all, that deer lived with blood inside it all its life, won't harm it one bit if some stays behind. Along with that..I don't soak my meat in anything...maybe rinse it off and into the pan it goes. Love my beef the same way, when I cut into the steak or roast...I wanna see blood on my plate.

After all, that deer lived with blood inside it all its life, won't harm it one bit if some stays behind.

Yeah, but the light buckskin colored interior in my VW Wagon didn't. :rotf:

The deer also had a functional immune system. :haha:

I go up to the ribs and reach up as far as I can to slice the esophagus and yank the lungs (I save and eat the heart). I can either leave it in the woods for the smaller critters to enjoy or pay the garbage man to haul it later. The more blood I leave in the woods the less I have to clean up and chase the dogs out in the garage (and car) at home.

Years ago I had a VW Beetle and tied a buck to the roof (speeking of moving a 200 lb deer - try getting on on top of a curved VW Bug when you're alreadt exhausted sometime). The blood oozed down and into the engine compartment (air-cooled in the rear). About a week later the car started to smell like a can of spoiled worms. GAAAAK! I ended up having to have the compartment steam cleaned months later to get the blood out of all the oily spots it had settled into and would "re-awake" when the engine got hot.

Had to pull over twice and re-tie because the deer kept sliding off the roof. :haha:

Heh, spesking of VW's and deer...I once knew a guy who had a VW...he got this humongus deer one year and tied it to the roof of the car. Dang deer looked like it fell out of the sky and was stradling the car. No kidding, he had each hoof tied to the ends of the bumpers (yup, they did put steel bumpers on cars back then) and the head was hanging over the front window on the passenger side. Never ever since have I seen a deer that large. It took four of us to drag that deer close enough to where we could get a vehicle to it.

I'm going to have to root around and find the picture to scan. The deer has an interesting rack, too. One side was damaged as a bud and the antler grew down and around into a 3/4 curl like a ram. The world's last 198# three point (dressed & then weighed at Dick's).

And I look like Buddy Holley and Drew Carey had a love child in the shot.

Zman said:
I don't have any problems dragging out a 200lb deer. Ain't never shot one that big :rotf: . The thing that I find that works the best is to hunt uphill from the truck and then shoot a 90lb yearling. They are tender and drag easy. :haha:

Later
Z

I saw that done a couple of times, one dressed at 206, just came out of Yosemite Park, and was curious about all the doin's at the pack station.
Sure looked like the best method to me. :applause:

BugDeer2.jpg

Here you go. Creative use of ropes and curved surfaces. Note the head and legs tied to the rear-view mirror on the outside of the door. Can't remember how I got inside the car. No wonder it was such hard dragging.

I was born later in the year Buddy Holley died. Both named "Charles". More than coincedence? :hmm:

The good news is that I wore that wool shirt last weekend when scouting, and the wool pants are still in my closet. And they fit!

I can't bend over or breathe, but I can zip and button them.

Ah. a '67 VW, best of the lot. I had one, but my wife didn't let me drive it until after it was paid for. :nono:

Back