• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good, then you will be well aware of the propensity for the Colt replica's out of the box shooting high, very high. There are some excellent posts on this forum which show how to make corrections to the hammer nose sight to compensate for this. I do not have a 3rd model, but I have a Walker by Uberti that I shoot a lot. If the nipples are the same size, I assume they are, the RWS 1075 size caps are just right and work every time. Load, the chamber diameter I believe will be .448, the cylinder is the same one as the 2nd model Colt. A .451 or .454 round ball will be what you will need. Powder charge - 30 - 35 grains would be your max., you probably won't be able to seat the ball with anything more than 35 gr. I would start out with 25 grains of FFFg, a single felt wad and the .454 ball. This Colt does not have the between nipple hammer rest position which would allow you to load all six chambers and carry "safely". Therefore, my recommendation is that you always look at it as a five shot, not a six shooter, always leaving the chamber under the hammer empty.

Have a "second generation" 3rd model Dragoon; it seems to hit just a touch high, 4" or so at 25 yards. Not bad for any Colt type w/o sight work. Also, seems to shoot better with round nosed elongated bullets from a mold that's supposed to be for Rugers.

Back