• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dragoons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a Whitneyville Dragoon trigger guard with spring and a hammer fit a 1st or 2nd model dragoon?
I have a dragoon nearly complete. Either 1st or 2nd. (I know its not a Whitneyville because of the frame) the only parts missing are the trigger guard and hammer. I checked around and found 1st and 2nd parts, $179.37 in one place and $176 on another.
$91.02 for the Whitneyville parts. The Whitneyville has the same type trigger guard and hammer as a Walker. The Whitneyville hammer doesn't have a wheel and it has U mainspring with the spring catch on the trigger guard.

Depends on the manufacturer. Some can interchange most probably wont. You say 1st or 2nd, the difference between those are the bolt and locking notches. 2nd and 3rd used the rectangular bolt. Post some pictures with dimensions, I might have a compatible trigger guard. Also manufacturers marks.

Depends on the manufacturer. Some can interchange most probably wont. You say 1st or 2nd, the difference between those are the bolt and locking notches. 2nd and 3rd used the rectangular bolt. Post some pictures with dimensions, I might have a compatible trigger guard. Also manufacturers marks.
They are all Uberti. And yes the only difference is the bolt and cylinder on the 1st and 2nd.
The parts I found are for the Uberti Whitneyville. It has the same set up of the Walker. The grips and trigger guard. And of course no roller on the hammer and the U mainspring.
I'd like to put those on for a first model like the originals. The Italians didn't bother to use them on the 1st model. They used the flat spring and roller on the hammer.
And also like the Whitneyville, the 1st model was supposed to have the top grip screws protruding. They didn't bother with that either.
I have a brand new Whitneyville, but I sure hate to take it apart just to see if they will fit a 1st model.
I also have a 1st model. But its an ASM. Or it could be a 2nd by just changing out the cylinder. Ive found the cylinders interchange on this ASM and the Uberti as does the barrel .

Last edited:
My 1st dragoon ASM has the protruding screws, (as does the Whitneyville) but it has a flat spring and roller on hammer. And its been changed to an unmentionable.

I have both Walker/Whitneyville, and Third model guards in hand. The screw holes and widths differ from one to another.(I compared them) All but one have a serial on them.

I have both Walker/Whitneyville, and Third model guards in hand. The screw holes and widths differ from one to another.(I compared them) All but one have a serial on them.
The Whitneyville use a U spring?

Attachments

• Z(1).jpg
    Z(1).jpg
    1.8 KB
The Walker and Whitneyville are the same. There's a cut in the frame AND the trigger guard for the "nose" on the grip that was removed on the 1-3 Mods.
You can parts swap the Walker arbor to a 3rd Mod Dragoon and have a "3rd mod. Walker" and a Whitneyville Dragoon.

and, it's described as a V spring not a U spring.

Mike

Know what? I just noticed, the Whitneyville and Walker have an angle on the back of the trigger guard. The grips and frame I have coming are square. So scratch the the Whitneyville/Walker parts.
I think I have a hammer and trigger guard for the 3d model. Too hot in the shed right now to hunt them down.
I appreciate y'alls replies.
I got this.
Thanks,

Vic

Last edited:
If you want to use a V-spring squareback guard it only takes a file to remove the angled portion.

If you want to use a V-spring squareback guard it only takes a file to remove the angled portion.
I would like that. Make me feel a 1st model would be more accurate. Probably no one would ever notice, but I sure would. I see some 1st models for sale and my first question is, look behind the hammer and tell me if you see a roller on it. And the two top screws on the back strap.
When I got this Whitneyville, that's the first thing I looked for. The screws protrude but not very pronounced. I can fix that.

This is my ASM 1st model. Unlike the original, Incorrect hammer.
But it doesn't matter for this one. Note the last picture.
But an Uberti cylinder fits good as does a barrel.
So, I have the Whitneyville and Walker. Now I need the 1st, 2nd and 3rd models. As I mentioned earlier, I would like to have the 1st model with the V spring. Make me feel like its more like the original.

Attachments

• 20241003_175144.jpg
    20241003_175144.jpg
    2.7 MB
  • 20241003_175106.jpg
    20241003_175106.jpg
    2.1 MB
  • 20241003_175255.jpg
    20241003_175255.jpg
    2.6 MB
Back