• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Draw filing barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripshod

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have 2 barrels to draw file.What type of file do you guys recommend?Also do I stay on one flat until it is smooth or do I work on one flat for a while then go to another?So far I have only received one barrel.It was made by Ed Rayl and it appears to have a finish on it similar to a Green MT. drop-in barrel for a T/C.The other is coming from Bobby Hoyt and it should be here this week.Thanks in advance.

any new single cut bastard file will work. Nicholson will do fine, Grobet files work exceptionally well.. :thumbsup:

I have really quit draw filing. It seems that I always will get one little piece of steel on there and it will put a gouge in the barrel.

I now use various grits of sand paper and a block. I do all flats with the same grit and move on. I also take a sharpie marker and write on the flat the grit number, that way when I have to come back to it I know exactly where I am. I have a barrel in my shop right now with 220 marked on each flat. I have not worked on it for a few months, but I know exactly where I left off. This barrel will be rust blued and I will take it to 400 grit.

snapper

Roy said:
now thats too funny... thats its name!! :rotf:
Bastard bastard bastard. :rotf:
Put the handle in your right hand and push it. Or, put the handle in your left hand and pull it.
Stoke 8" to 12" at a time then move farther down the flat till you're done. Make sure the file is clean before you start your stroke.

Just rec'd a Rice bbl that doesn't require any draw filing but normally use a mill file and a light rub w/ 220 grit paper. Sometimes a burr is raised at the corners if extensive draw filing is done and this is removed w/ the 220 grit paper. Possibly chalking the file would help w/ the file loading, although I don't use chalk and don't have a problem w/ loading...possibly cleaning the file more often would help....Fred

:rotf: When I get done, the ALL need draw filed regardless of where they come from !! :grin:

Just what everyone else said. Ordinary file, and do them one side at a time. And, since it's an Ed Rayl barrel, you will be REALLY sore by the time you're done. (4140 steel...) :grin:

And I never have understood why it's called a "bastard" file. Is there something questionable about its parentage?

And I never have understood why it's called a "[censored]" file. Is there something questionable about its parentage?
I think it's just because gunmakers hate filing and they hated it so much that in the old days they just used the term bastard to let everyone know how much they hated the tool. :rotf:

fleener said:
I have really quit draw filing. It seems that I always will get one little piece of steel on there and it will put a gouge in the barrel.

Cleaning the file regularly is a must, as is rubbing the file with chalk to prevent the cuttings from adhering to the teeth.

God bless

the "censored" word refers to its being a hybrid file...its not coarse, its not smooth...its "censored"...much like a "censored" sword is not one handed, nor is it two handed, its "hand and a half" or "censored"...by the way, it wastes more electrons to write "censored" than the "b" word...in this case I definately advocate electron conservation as the tools name is not a reference to the assumed explicative or the legitimacy of its inception. And a guy will have a tough time finding a "censored" file at the hardware unless he is looking for the "B" word prominently stamped in the tang...beware, the tool aisle or draw filing itself is apparently not for the squeemish, the faint of heart, or more sensative viewers accordingly...therefore viewer discretion is advised.
TCA

Last edited by a moderator:
Files normal come in "Coarse", "Second Cut", and "Fine" teeth. The B-file falls between Coarse and Second Cut, and is therefore NOT NORMAL. The B-word merely is used instead of "IRREGULAR". It has Nothing to do with the Appellation given to people born out of wedlock.

It is rather sad, in this day and age of open marriages, gay marriages, and the vast majority of children being born out of wedlock that anyone still considers this a word to be censored, even if its used properly! :( When are Grown-ups going to finally grow up, and act accordingly??? :shocked2: :hmm: :nono: :hatsoff:

I have run into this " Language Problem" all my professional life, whenever I am defending someone in Court charged with any sex crime. In picking jurors, we have to make sure to warn the jury that some language may not be considered " Polite" conversation, and make sure that the use of foul or slang language by any witness Will not be taken by the juror as indicating low character of the speaker, or bias the juror for or against that witness' testimony. We also don't want to offend the potential juror, nor embarrass him/her. Thankfully, we rarely meet a venire member who has not heard such words, and claims to be offended by anyone using such language. If they are, they are usually excused from the jury for cause, and someone else is selected from the jury pool to be interviewed to serve on the trial jury. :thumbsup:

When I was working for Rock Island Auction Co. I was writing a description of a M1777 Charleville. I described the cock as a "double throated cock". Good golly, the place went bonkers! I had to settle for "reinforced hammer". :rotf:

Fleener

The reason you are gouging your barrels is you have exceded the cut-rate for that file. If you move the file too fast ot too hard, you will get "pins" or little curls of steel in the file. These curls get lodged in the file grooves, and gouge your barrel.

Reduce your speed, pressure or both. and you will cure the problem. Keep your file-card close to hand as well.

v/r

Grant

If your "Luck" is as bad as mine is, if you are ever called for jury duty, you will probably be sent only to courtrooms trying civil cases! :thumbsup:

As a lawyer, altho I am eligible for jury service, NO lawyer in his right mind would choose me for a jury, as lawyers tend to take charge of the jury, and the client is denied his right to have 6 or 12 people decide his case- not another lawyer! That having been said, I do know of a couple of lawyers- who did not do trial work in their practice-- who served on juries. I have been a trial lawyer since I was in law school, almost 40 years ago, now, so I don't expect to do anything on jury duty other than catch up on my reading, if I am called. :grin:

I draw filed a 44" Colerain C BBl. I filed at a 45 degree angle to the Barrel. I marked the flat I was working on with a Sharpie. You do not have to color the whole flat, I just made a series of lines at an angle across the flat. This helped a great deal, just file until the marks are gone.

I filed one flat at a time moving down the barrel as I go. When done with one flat I rotated the barrel in the vice and started on the next marked flat.

The Colerain seemed to have high edges and a slightly concave flat as the edges came down first. Be sure to keep your file flat and do not rock it from side to side. Until I filed it I had no idea how rough that barrel really was.

You will have some holidays. Spaces where the the imperfections are deeper and thus you have spaces where rough medal or ink shows. Go back and file these areas down but be sure to use long strokes on the areas to blend them in. If you bear down on small stubborn areas your barrel may come out looking "lumpy".

After your done filing wrap some sand paper over your file and repeat the process. I did not get all the file marks off, some are still visible. This was a small mistake on my part but in hindsight I think it gives the barrel some life.

Inglorious Basterd File....

I also use the sharpie. It will tell you when you've reached the bottom of the mill marks, and indicate if you are rocking the file sideways. If you see the color disappear from the sides of the flat, but not the middle, practice holding the file differently so that it stays flat (or flatter, it's just hard to do). Two or three sample ares will tell the tale. Bill

Just for giggles, I read thru that old post.
Don't tell Claude. The word Bastard is still standing proud in that post but it isn't because I'm a moderator. As you may have noticed, the word BASTARD is censored for me too.

Truth be told, the reason I re-read the post is because I was going to modify it so it still reads correctly and calls a Bastard file a Bastard file instead of a (censored) file. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Sorry, I just did a preview of this post and read it! That's downright funny! :rotf: Especially when you know that you can type bas tard and the computer doesn't catch it. :rotf:

Latest posts

Back