• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Draw filing barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:idunno: :idunno: Why would someone want to draw file a barrel? :idunno: :idunno:

ffnh243 said:
:idunno: :idunno: Why would someone want to draw file a barrel? :idunno: :idunno:
Drawfiling produces a very smooth surface.

Many of the barrels available from the commercial barrel makers are quite rough on the exterior often with visible milling cutter marks left.

These marks look very crappy and unless the builder wants a gun that looks like he/she just "put together" a bunch of rough parts they will have to remove them.

To remove the marks one of two methods can be used. Either sanding them off with a metal cutting sandpaper like the black silicone carbide wet/dry paper or draw filing.

Draw filing is far less expensive, there is less risk of rounding off the octagon's sharp edges and it is the historically correct method that has been used for centuries.

Folks not wanting to build a gun may have some of the commercially made rifles with big WARNING USE BLACK POWDER ONLY, etc stamped on the barrel (for legal reasons). They might not want these modern warnings etc and draw filing allows a method that the home mechanic or builder can use to remove them.

ffnh243 said:

In addition to Zonie's great reply above, I would only add that many factory-finished octagon barrels have been machine-polished to death and are more round than they are octagon. A good draw filing will square them off.

Zonie said:
ffnh243 said:
Drawfiling produces a very smooth surface.

Many of the barrels available from the commercial barrel makers are quite rough on the exterior often with visible milling cutter marks left.

These marks look very crappy and unless the builder wants a gun that looks like he/she just "put together" a bunch of rough parts they will have to remove them.

To remove the marks one of two methods can be used. Either sanding them off with a metal cutting sandpaper like the black silicone carbide wet/dry paper or draw filing.

Draw filing is far less expensive, there is less risk of rounding off the octagon's sharp edges and it is the historically correct method that has been used for centuries.

Folks not wanting to build a gun may have some of the commercially made rifles with big WARNING USE BLACK POWDER ONLY, etc stamped on the barrel (for legal reasons). They might not want these modern warnings etc and draw filing allows a method that the home mechanic or builder can use to remove them.
:thumbsup: Gotchya :thumbsup: I can understand the reasoning now. Thanks

If you have never done it, you will be surprised at how easy it really is. Doing it sounds a lot harder than it is.

Ok, now that I understand the reasoning, another question pops up. in the case of a new barrel, should the draw filing be done before or after cutting the dovetails or does it really not matter :idunno:

I would suggest that you do the breeching and dovetails first and save the drawfiling for last.

That way any marks that accedently get made to the barrel won't mess up your drawfiling.

I believe that J.D. mentioned it already but I think it's worth stating again that the use of chalk and periodic carding the file with a carding brush will greatly reduce your chances of having the file clog.
I card the file each time that I feel it bite too hard and follow the cleaning by rubbing the file with a soapstone stick (used by welders and other metal workers for marking steel). The soapstone dust really helps delay the inevitable clog.
If you do gouge the steel with a clogged file you simply clean it again and run a few more passes to remove the whoopsy. No harm done.
Have fun!

Your right this is easy :thumbsup: I was changing the sights on my 50 and figured instead of touching up some of the spots on the barrel where the blue has worn off, it would be better to draw file the barrel and re blue the whole thing. Im halfway done and happy with the "so far" results

After reading a bit of this thread and Zonie's guide (which was actually a re-read), I settled on draw filing as a technique for making the shaft for my handgonne. In case any of you were wondering, draw filing works great on wood. The advantage here is that I was able to keep the flats straight and lined up with the barrel much easier than just about any other method of wood removal.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/878830/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back