• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drilling Jig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Evans

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone show me a simple drilling jig that they had made there self so I can drill a straight hole for a barrel pin?
I thought I'd seen one awhile back that "Herb" had made,but can't find it now.
Thanks.

The Gun Works sells a jig for drilling pins - kinda a piece of angle iron - you can see it here

I drill pin holes by hand with a cordless drill. To ensure they line up on each side (even if using a jig) you need drill from "both sides" to the middle.

If you do use the jig you use it to start the hole on each side. Drill about half way (or a touch further) on one side, then go at it from the other until the holes (meet).

You can build your own jig with a piece of angle iron and save the 20 bucks/shipping of the commercially available one - I simply use my caliper's pointy end to leave a little dimple where I want to drill.

Years ago I bought a "C" clamp drill jig for the bbl lug and RR pipe holes and tried to use it and found it was a lot more work and not as accurate as the simple, jigless method I've always used. This drill jig can also be used for the tang bolt hole, but using it, again is a lot more work. Never tried to use it again.

W/ a 5/32" web at the muzzle and a 3/32" web at the breech, the 1/16 dia. holes have to be located and drilled accurately in both the bbl lugs and RR pipes....there's no "room" for error. This drill jig could work, but wasn't as accurate and was a heck of a lot more work to use.

I recollect a drill jig made from a length of angle iron w/ holes at various distances from the surface that orients on the top bbl flat....as shown in a previous post reference......Fred

fred, any chance you still have the jig? I would be happy to have it and help reduce any "clutter" of unused tools :grin:

SR, I posted a tutorial on another ML web site but I don't think I can post the address here. I'll give it to you in a PM. I also did one on triggers, one on fitting a Hawken breech plug and another on cutting sight slots and fitting sights.

This is the one I made out of scrap and works great. Its just a couple nuts welded to a plate and couple bolts with one having a hole drilled. It adjusts to every barrel size also easy to align to the barrel flat.

Yeah I made one too, based on one that Birddog6 made but I'm not showing it because it was a tiny bit off.
Just a few degrees off center and your in trouble.
Hard steel pins don't like to bend.
I ended up having to use some stainless welding rod I got from work on one project just so I could tweek the rod to fit the holes and that was enough!!
I'm not going to put 100+hours into a build again and have holes off center or drift the wrong way.
Part of the learning curve I guess. But nice clean straight, symmetrical holes are part of a nice looking build.

SR.Chief,
Unless your a machinist,
Your better off using a drill press/post set up or buying the MSM jig than trying to make one or free hand.

Here's a twist on that MSM jig.
The first one I bought was from a supplier not MSM. And that jig was off center!!
I contacted MSM, told them who the supplier was, I mailed it directly to them and they replaced it with one that is true.
I'm sett, I can now drill holes through stocks in three different sizes for probably the next 20yrs.

My drillpress has a 3/4" X 2' X 4-1/2' sheet of re-inforced plywood bolted to the table which enables me to drill all 4 bbl lug holes in one setup and also all 3 RR holes together at a later time.

The bbl/stock assembly is clamped in my super accurate vise w/ the top bbl flat against the permanent jaw. The assembly is clamped together on both sides of a bbl lug {RR pipe} and the 1/16 hole is drilled through. A music wire pin is pushed into the drilled hole and the clamps are moved to the next lug. This hole is then drilled and the procedure is followed until all are done.

The total drilling time is under 15 minutes and the holes are all accurately drilled.

The most important operation is accurately laying out the pin locations and using an awl to provide a "dimple" in the wood for accurate drill "pickup".

Many use drill jigs of one kind or another and if the results are satisfactory....can't argue w/ that.....Fred

I made this about 30+ years ago. Made from an old hand mace C clamp out of my grandpa's shop.

This is a new one I bought from Dave Rase I think it was, over on ALR forum. His is much better than mine & he will sell you the longer bits & dif size bushings & etc. for it.

Keith Lisle

There are some pics right here in this forum.
Not long back I had a subject refarding "TAng Bolt vs Wood screw" and one of the responders included some very good photos.
Good luck

Shameless ripoff of Dave Rase

Mader in an afternoon from a clamp purchased at Home Depot. Finding the bits is the real work!

I like the adjustable depth set screw on the back side of your jig. I have one of the pre fab pieces from a supplier that is the same as yours. I make little shims from scrap wood to fit in the gap on the back side of the c and lock in place for repeated drills. I think I could drill and tap it easy enough though. http://www.jedediah-starr.com/closeup.asp?cid=90&pid=909&offset=0
Best thing I ever bought.
Regards,
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Another home made drill jig.

When I built this jig, I bought production drill bushings to use with this modified C clamp and although they work great the cost of them was more than some of the other jigs offered by some of the muzzleloading parts suppliers.

Back