• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drive hunt next saturday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Next saturday me and my friends will do something for establishing ML-hunting in GE. We will start a little drive hunt at roes on my hunting ground. We will be 6 hunters, 2 drivers and 1 dog (terrier). I have some bigger thickings where I suspect roes inside. So let's have a look and disturb them.Will show some pics from the hunt to all of you. The uphill battle moves on!

Greetings from Bavaria, GE

...will be looking forward to your post. Hope there are pictures to go with it.

My season ended last Tuesday (12/19/06). No exciting stories to tell. Ended the season with 2 muzzeloader doe this year for the freezer. One with a long gun and one with a handgun.

nothing personal but as a hunting guide I am very much opposed to drives.
I have seen more wonded animals because of overzelous trigger happy hunters.
remember a pushed deer or elk is running deer or elk. And you should never shoot a runing animal.
I live on a ridge in CO that the local rednecks just have to push.
This year marks the 8th elk I have found ass shot wounded, starving in the woods. Yes I put her down.
Last year I found a bull that had been run through a bolder field.
When I found him his front hooves had been broken clean off, and starving.
this manure makes me sick. :cursing:
Some states in the US have laws against it, all states should.
If you feel you need to drive timber to make a kill maby you should learn to hunt!!
I don't know you and you are prabably a ethical hunter like most muzzleloaders but for what it's worth that is my opinion.
I take it roes are deer as in roe deer
:hatsoff:

I understand your critics. But let me tell how we in Germany realize a drive hunt. Drive is not to be read word by word. You have to read or understand it more as a soft pressing. The drivers (never more than 2 or three with the same number of dogs) only go through the thickings very slowly without shouting or making any noise. The roes are not chased at all. They will be only disturbed to make them go slowly or a bit fast out of the thickings. The dogs have to be short leged (terries)and "track loud", means they only bark when they see a roe and then follow the roe. roes don't move very far because the small dogs can't follow as fast as the roes move. This is the trick. The deers only get in panic when the drivers are to loud and the dogs are to long leged. Because then the dogs chase the deer really. But this is not wanted. The hunters normally stand around the thicking wide spreaded at the trecks were the roes are expected to come.

I'm guessing that there differant hunting tactics for differant places.Good luck on your Deer Drive!I hope you can post up some pictures of your hunt. :hatsoff:

Good luck to you Kirrmeister. Hope you folks have a very successful hunt over there. Post up some pics and get a good hunt story put together for us. I at least want to see a pic of the dog. :grin:

snagg

Waidmanns Heil.
Are all the guys carring ML, or are you the only one?
And don't shoot at the 'NOTME'
:hatsoff:

We will carry mixed armament. some with nitro rifles the others with ML. But the nitro gunners are also very interested in ML-hunting, they only didn't try it up to now. and for starting it a drive hunt is not the best occasion.

Back