• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Drop In GM Barrel Browning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowmaker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am in the process of browning a GM Drop-In .40 barrel for a TC flintlock I built about 30 years ago. Planning to use LMF browning solution and have read over several posts here to get a feel for the process and it doesn't seem too difficult.

I do, however, want to get some opinions on a couple of things - seeing as how there are so many experienced builders here. The first thing I was wondering about is, should I brown the barrel and rib as one unit, or do each separately?

Also, any suggestions on keeping the browning solution from rusting all the various screw holes for sight, etc?

And finally, I'm adding an L&R Lock as well. I assume I should just disassemble and brown the visible parts (hammer, lock plate, and frizzen)?

I know I went through this whole process when I originally built the rifle, but my memory has degraded significantly since. Some might say the memory loss is directly related to an abiding love of Barley Soda, but that's a topic for another day.

Thanks for the help.

I think most folks would say that you should remove the underlug and disassemble the lock before browning the parts.

This allows you to brown all of the surfaces needed which will protect them from further rusting.

As for the screw holes, I just apply the browning solution rather thinly like the instructions say to do and it doesn't really get down into the threads very far.
IMO, even if it does it will just brown those first few threads which in the long run will protect them from further rust (after the browning is oiled).

Thanks for the input. Pretty much have everything ready to go - just might get it knocked out this weekend. Really anxious to see how the L&R lock does compared to the TC lock.

I did just what you have in mind, except it was for a Track supplied 40 cal to put on a Lyman GP percussion.

I believe stripping off the rib, sights, etc is the way to go. I used an old nipple filled with epoxy to seal the breech area, and a rubber stopper at the front. Degreased with rubbing alcohol twice, brushed on the LMF, and set diagonally in one of those long low plastic boxes used to store Christmas wrapping paper under a bed. Fit just right. Applied a new coat of LMF solution every day for three days, with no wipe downs. Turned the barrel twice a day so solution would spread out evenly. After neutralizing with baking soda solution and oiling with ATF, it looks great.

White Fox

Thanks Guys.

The lock parts and rib are done, and the barrel should be finished this evening. The LMF and the instructions provided here and by several posts made the process unbelieveably easy. The lock parts look like Hershey's chocolate.

Gonna be awesome and I'm hoping the GM barrel shoots well. From all I have heard, I'm sure it'll shoot just fine.

Thanks again.

Back