• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dry-fire a flintlock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more thing new flintlock shooters need to know...A flintlock can and will go off with no powder in the pan but loaded with the main charge!!!

So, if you are shooting and don't get a spark, knap the flint but do not see if it will spark on the loaded gun or you may be cleaning out your pants... :)

Also, if you are going to pull a charge with powder behind it, pour water or oil down the barrel to neutralize the powder...

Have fun!!!
This is true. I have done it. Was doing a demonstration at the local gun club and made a point of mentioning that the gun doesn't need to be overprimed and will in fact possibly fire without any prime. I attempted to fire.the rifle with an empty pan and it did indeed fire on the first try just as fast an ignition as had I primed the pan.

Don't be like me and dry fire your first flint. Bent the hell out of the doghead clamp screw after a couple times. Had to order a new one.

The Woodsrunner I assembled last year is the only rifle I have ever had that would break wooden flint replacements. Not every time but eventually after 4-5 shots it would break, I made one out of deer antler and thats what I use in it now.

Dry fire until the sights do not move when the hammer falls, never dry fire with the frizzen open, that's all you need to know.

Well she's a big girl! The bess is next to my cz bobwhite for reference.
.744 bore do yall think a patched .735 ball will be too tight or do I just need to get some to try?
My Pedersoli Bess mikes a nominal 0.751. I can shoot 6-8 shots using a 0.735 ball, 0.016 ticking, 80g Goex 2f and the patch lubed with either bear grease or bear oil without loading problems. I don't have a lot of range time with this load, but the last shot loads almost as easy as the first. I have shot more 0.715 patched ball and it loads easily too, but I have not done extensive firing strings with that load. Weight of the ramrod will seat the patched 0.715 ball in a clean barrel.

I think 0.735 will be a tight load for you. Buy a bag of each size from Dixie or Track and see how they work for you. I will be shooting the 0.715 ball in the future because I picked up a mold that size here in the Forum. Waiting for spring weather and for Jason to sell some more lead. HTH.

I can not get behind the wooden flint thing. If the wood breaks, you still looking at a hammer stretch.
I use old flints or misfit flints. Ones I would not use when hunting.

Latest posts

Back