• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dry fire with dead caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brpc

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have just started to train myself to shoot muzzleloading pistol. I do have many years of experience with conventional modern pistol and with muzzleloading rifle, but none with blackpowder pistol. I have Traditions Trapper. Ergonomics is a challenge compared to say a Glock or 1911.

I believe that I need to follow a regimen of ten minutes daily dry fire. I have scraped the priming material out of some no.11 caps and are using them to "cushion" the hammer fall during dryfire. Seems to work OK.

My question is...Does anyone see any downside to this procedure?

Use a black rubber washer to fit around the nipple. Get the heavy duty type you would use for your kitchen sink or bathroom sink... the black, cone shaped neoprene 1/4" jobs. Place that around the nipple and you can dry practice to your heart's content. No need to fiddle with caps or anything else. :thumbsup:

If you haven't allready....replace the factory manure nipple with something that will endure the test of time!

The black faucet washer is the cure for what you are wanting to do!
That was good advise given to you!

As for your grip.......

two hands, dominant hand fairly high u the stock,second hand overlapping first. more of a "squeeze the stock" instead of a "wrap the hand around" type.
I keep my arms high and elbows not locked.
It looks un conventional, but my scores remain high, consistently!

my $.02!

You can also use 1/4 rubber vaccuum hose, cut the lenght to 3/8" or so and slide it over the nipple.

I like the hose better than the faucet washers, but either will work.

RDE

Good advice given here. I don't think the fired caps give enough cushion to prevent mushrooming the nipple. I use the bib washer, but might think about using tubing.

Thanks to all who replied. Knew there had to be a better way. Jim

Here is another vote for using a faucet washer. They're cheap, easy to find, come in various sizes, can be used on almost any percussion rifle or pistol (but not revolvers), are easy to install and remove, and last indefinitely. In use, they cushion the blow of the hammer which reduces stress on all the moving parts of the lock as well as protecting the nipple.

I keep an extra or two in my shooting box to give to new shooters if they need them. It is very inexpensive goodwill and might save somebody the frustration of having to file down or replace a mushroomed nipple. :hatsoff:

Buy a $1 pack of those toy caps, there are 100 or more to a pack. They fit a little tight but they go on. Then you also get used to a little boom when you pull the trigger. Of course if that upsets the locals disregard.

I use aquarium airline tubing cut to about 1/4" in length for my Pietta NMA. Works great.

I was also taught to use the cone-shaped faucet washer and it works very well. Anytime I am just storing any of my percussion cap guns, they have the washers on them.

Latest posts

Back