• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dry reddish color film residue from BP ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
With cold weather here again and looking ahead to starting back shooting on Satutrday mornings after hunting season ends, I remembered something about powder residue that I noticed last January & February.

Shooting my flintlocks in cold weather months with very low humidity, I noticed a couple things:
1) You hardly ever have to bother wiping the pan when the humidity is real low, and that's a good thing of course;
2) I noticed a very faint, light coating of a dry reddish film beginning to appear around the vent liner and on the pan...and occasionally see a flake / speck on a patch, etc.

I only seemed to notice it during those cold low humidity months...and with different rifles and calibers.
I only use Goex FFFg main and Goex FFFFg prime so I don't know if it's unique to Goex or not.

I haven't noticed it during the other more normal high humidity months of the year...but then, during those months I'm wiping/cleaning the vent & pan after every shot anyway to eliminate the soup effects of humidity, so it probably wouldn't have had a chance to show up anyway, dunno.

Anybody seen this faint reddish, dry, powdery film...know what it is, what causes it?

Back