• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dunlap or Chamber kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billk

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking of building my first flintlock rifle. I have been reading your posts and seen pictures of your rifles and I am not sure as to go with a Dunlap or a Chamber's kit.

I would be using this rifle for whitetail deer hunting. Would you recomend .54 cal over .50 cal and 38" barrel length or 42" barrel length? Also, should I go with a rice barrel or Getz barrel? Do they make a .54 B barrel or only a .54 C barrel?

What are your opinions/suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your responces.
Billk

I have no experience with either Dunlap or Chanbers kits. I do know a lot of people like the Chambers kits and the locks are supposed to be among the best.

As far as going with a .50 or .54 for deer, I would vote for the .50. It does quite well on Mulies out here and a lot of people I know use them on elk with good effect. They should be quite enough for whitetail.

As far as barrel length goes, I prefer the longer barrels for looks and a longer sighting plane. The 38" might be a little easier to handle in brushy areas but I have not had any trouble with a 42" in the brushy areas around here.

They don't make a B weight in .54, not sure on the .50cal.. Neither of these kits are really kits but a collection of parts that require that wood and metal be fitted, though the inletting is close. The Chambers kits, have a better fit from the start, so it gets my vote. Getz or Rice are both top line, so it doesn't make much difference. The .54 cal. will be a slightly lighter gun, and will take any North American game, though it's a little hard on squirrel's :rotf: . That's my two cents.

Bill

Life is like a box of chocolates--What the heck does that mean?

I go for the 54, less weight and 38 length if were me. Killed them with shorter barrels(27) at 100yrds RB Dilly

I have experience with only the Chambers components. I think second to none. The folks there are great to talk with and always are willing to help. Just got another Lancaster set yesterday. Beautiful wood and components right out of the box. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I have built two Dunlap Haines rifles and one Chambers Marshall rifle among the six that I have built. Do not think that you can go wrong with either vendor.

My Haines rifles were both .50 cal, one is a "C" weight and the other is a "B" weight, both with Getz barrels that point, balance, and shoot very well. The "B" is very nice to carry while hunting, being about a pound lighter than the "C". A .54 in a "C" weight barrel would also make a nice handling rifle with a little more potential "umph" at about the same weight as a "B" weight .50 cal. (Just a thought.)

Dave

I can only say that I've had experience with the Chambers kit and will say that they are excellent quality. I've heard good stuff about Mr. Dunlap's kits. I've also been impressed by the Rice Barrels. While I can't say that there is an edge in quality either direction between Rice and Getz you can get a Rice barrel a lot quicker than you can a Getz.

Tommy Bruce said:
While I can't say that there is an edge in quality either direction between Rice and Getz you can get a Rice barrel a lot quicker than you can a Getz.

I have heard reports of some folks have been waiting for two years to get a special order barrel from Getz. IMHO, I would go with Rice. His barrels are as good as they come,and they are available.

J.D. said:
I have heard reports of some folks have been waiting for two years to get a special order barrel from Getz. IMHO, I would go with Rice. His barrels are as good as they come,and they are available.

There might be a small wait for a Getz barrel for one of the kits, but the long waits of over two years are for "special order" barrels that are not a common production Getz barrel. Like an extra long barrel or one with a special profile.

Most, if not all, of the custom barrel makers will have you waiting some time when you request a barrel that is not part of their normal production runs.

Randy Hedden

I have not built any of Chambers parts sets, but have looked at several that others have bought from him & they are top notch parts sets. As for Dunlaps, I have built over a dozen of his sets & they are a good quality parts set.

Were it me I would go with a C-54 in a Rice barrel in 38" I have built ? 7-8 of the Haines rifles with that barrel & it is just a great deer rifle. It is what I built for myself last year to deer hunt with, and I am building a LH & a RH Haines right now inRice C-54's & have another blank cut out with the barrel inlet & the profile cut, & will start shaping it when I get these two done.

:) Than you all for your responses and advise.

I will keep you posted when I decide to start this project. I am sure I will need lots of help as I go along.

Thank you again,
Billk

If putting it in a standard gun safe is a concern, barrel length & LOP is critical, cause some with 42" barrels will not go into some of the safes, but the onew with the 38" barrel will...... :hmm:

Latest posts

Back