• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch ovens

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheelockhunter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am interested in getting a dutch oven, problem is I don't know what a good brand is or even how to cook with one.

Any direction would be appreciated

wheelockhunter said:
I am interested in getting a dutch oven, problem is I don't know what a good brand is or even how to cook with one.

Any direction would be appreciated

What do you want it for? Lodge makes good, affordable cast iron wares.
Here's a site to help you get started with Dutch Oven cooking:[url] http://www.macscouter.com/Cooking/DutchOven.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Lodge, Griswold, and an old LEE if you can find one are all well made DOs, you can even find a decent one from tex sport or any of those other cheaper off brands if you know what your lookn for, main thing with buying a cheaper oven is to make sure you get one with even thickness in the casting on the sides and an ovenr with a lid that closes nicley and snug, no rocking from it being uneven, Lodge casts their ovens and then grinds them to fit, as far as care and cooking in one, treat it as you would your grandmas old skillet, and no need to go buy do cookbooks, if you can cook it at home, you can cook it in a DO!
The wife and I have taught DO cooking seminars for over 20 years to numerous Boy Scout leaders in the states and in canada, we tell them the best thing you can do for your DO the first couple times you cook in them is to deep fry, specially donut holes or hush puppies etc. helps penetrate that oil into them, and then open up your cookbooks at home and experiment, have fun with them! cook at home in it for awhile and get used to using it, pretty darn simple. hope this helps, Beav

I feel I need to warn you, once you get one they multiply very fast... :winking: I have lodge, and camp chef, and like them both very well.. but the main thing as one poster already mentioned is that the oven is even and has a tight fitting lid, check any oven you are considering buying.
Have fun :)

WHen you first get your DO (I recommend a 12" Lodge to start) give it a good cleaning with soap and a scour pad. This is the last time these items will ever touch your DO. Next, you have to wipe on a thin layer of Crisco over the entire surface and the lid and bake it (a gas grill works best for this) at round 350 for an hour. Let cool, and re-apply seasoning again. Repeat until you have a nice black coating. Wipe it down, and you're ready to cook. To store, put a piece of cardboard between the lid and bowl so that air can circulate, otherwise the DO may go sour on you. NEVER let water stand in it for extended periods, as it may rust. COok all of your fatty foods in the DO and seasoning will build up naturally. WIpe with a cloth and water, boil water to remove grease, and use course salt or a wok scraper for an abrasive ONLY.

Also dont let any tomato based foods stand in your oven, they will take your seasoning off. Not that you cant cook them, just dont put your DO in the refrigerator and let them set for days.

My D.O. has a top that has no ridge built around the rim. Is this as good as one that will hold coals on top? I have had folks tell me different things on this one. One says I need a rim to keep coals on top. Another friend says it is not necessary. I do know that the lid fits nice and flat.

youcan place coals on a non rimmed lid easy. the rim does help, but not required.

I have a 10" and 12" with rims, and a 10" with no legs and no lid rim. I use the legless/rimless oven on top of a grill and as a stew pot. No one's mentioned that your collection of other cast iron ware may multiply as well. We have a griddle, 4 skillets, cornbread mold, deep pot, and 3 dutch ovens. And we use and love all of them in the house and in camp.

Ahh, the many joys of cast iron. It's been around for centuries and it can't be beat. Teflon cookware can't even begin to compare.

beleive it or not but wal-mart carries lodge brand :thumbsup: ....in the sporting goods section and housewares...........bob

That leg-less unit works excellent at home in your modern oven and on the stovetop!
If you work at it, you can get that same great camp taste at home...if you work at...close but not perfect.

Brett

I've had all types of dutch ovens, cheap and exspensive. They all work. I prefer ones with legs. I allways look inside for cracks. I bought a cheap one that had a visible crack. It of course broke when I heated it up.
The other thing I look for is.....
Hold the oven by the bail wire. Be sure the lid can be removed when it's hanging. I have ovens that can't be opened when they are hanging from a tripod.

Regards

If you get an old one and it is rusty, soaking it in vinegar will take all the rust off.

I need to print this, since everyone gives me heck that 1/2 my trailer weight is in cast iron. Can't pass up a Griz or Wagner at auction if they're a good price...1 chicken fryer, 3 #10's, 3 #6's (which are great for eggs!), 3 DO (one with legs, one flat with a concave top, one flat with flat top), 1 griddle. I think that's what I carry in the trailer...

wheelockhunter,
I don't think you can go wrong
with 'Lodge'. Check yard and garage sales for
cast iron cooking equipment. Will most likely
need cleaned up, but you should get it very
reasonable.IMO
snake-eyes :hmm:

I have a cast iron pot some one gave me. It hanging out side and is completely coovered in rust with no lid. Do you think it can be cleaned up for apot?

Back