• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch Schoultz and Blackpowder Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the current liquid used for cutting and grinding purposes is fine for that application but as a patch lube it dries out and has a tendency to catch fire down range which is not a good thing in these very very dry times.

I don't know where to buy Ballistol ovally but if you do a search on google you should find a bunch of people eager to sell it to you. It comes in spray and liquid forms. Use the liquid form.

A particularly picky correspondent of mine found that Mobil Oil carries a good water soluble oil but it comes in a five gallon can which should last the average muzzleloader about 325 years plus or minus.

Dutch Schoultz

theDuck said:
Thanks Dutch. I've never used Ballistol as it hasn't been sold here in the Great White North. I was planning to pick up some when I go south of the border soon.
Duck, take a look here.

Regards,
Joel

I wrote hunting and fishing articles, two fishing books, and a book on dart playing. I had two newspaper columns in the Tampa Florida area for about 15 years where I owned a bait shop and guided fishermen. I have since retired. I am currently working on making my Colt rifled musket shoot round ball with your system. So far I've had some good success. I just ordered a mold from Jeff Tanner, and bought a digital scale to weigh balls. Bought my first muzzleloader in 1972.

Ballistol is basically MINERAL OIL with additives to clean Mercury primer residue from old military guns. Since mercury is no longer use in modern primers, nor in percussion caps, you can use the same MINERAL OIL sold in drug and grocery stores you lube patches. You find mineral oil is a lot cheaper, and can be found locally. :hatsoff:

Dutch, would that be the missouri bottoms range situated between the old and new st.charles bridges? At one time it was run by a little fellow with an odd limp? I starte shooting there 30 yrs ago as a teen. I just lived over in the neighborhood past fred webers quarry so that was my home range.

Joel,
Yes there a mineral oil in Ballistol. Ballistol's primary advantage
is that it dissolves in water where drugstore Mineral oil won't.

My mom used to give me a couple spoonful of mineral every day. I have no idea why.

We need to find a way to dissolve regular mineral in water.
I was satisfied with the Water soluble oil and water and didn't experiment further.
What we need is a way to mix whatever oil with something that blend with it and then evaporate in a relatively short period. Alcohol comes to mind as a possibility but no longer have the facility to experiment further.
Dutch Schoultz

You are correct, sir.
It was run by what you might calla tall dwarf.
We probably spent time together back then.

That range I believe might still exist but to see it requires a boas in the Gulf of Mexico,

The flood of '93 done washed it away.

Dutch

Hanshi, I'm not sure which you feel to be expensive. Ballistol or mineral oil.

Ballistol might be a touch high but you use so very little.

I bought a gallon of the Water soluble oil and used about half or less of in 18 years ,Plus or minus, of fairly constant shooting.

I feel a weeks coffee drinking might cost you the same as a 7-10 year supply.

Just a thought”¦

dutch

I have a question for you guys. Should Ballistol be diluted with water or used straight?

Screamin,
Please dont take this the wrong way as I am not trying to be a smart alec, but the best answer to this is, buy a copy of Dutch's System. It is much more detailed and explains the hows and whys much better than the vast majority of quick answers you're likely to get in a post. It helped my shooting and groups immensely. Part of that was things I was doing completely wrong, some because I at first attempted to treat my ML as a modern rifle, and part of it was by pointing things out that I knew were wrong, but tried to do anyway. It really is worth it and will save you a lot of time, money, and aggravation in the long run.

Dear Scremin>
Use Ballistol straight on bug bites, on dried out gun stocks and any other thing that comes mind.

I would dilute the Ballistol with water in peculiarly complicated way to give you varying degrees of slickness

Itakes me about 3 and half 8.5 X 11" pages to 'splain it. But to answer your question "Yes, temporarily."

Dutch

Lonegun1894 said:
Screamin,
Please dont take this the wrong way as I am not trying to be a smart alec, but the best answer to this is, buy a copy of Dutch's System.

Don't take this the wrong way - but it kind of defeats the intent of a forum or the Internet to have to buy a response or opinion.

I don't use Ballistol so I can't say diluted or no. I do dilute Murphy's or Pine-sol as used for cleaning.

I use a wax/oil lube for shooting.

I received Dutch's system in the mail today and read through it after I posted this... I get it! :bow:

Stumpkiller,
No offense taken, and with very few exceptions, I couldn't agree more with your position. I wasn't trying to sell Dutch's System, but at the same time, I don't think it's right to go and give everything away when the man did all the work to develop it, thereby undercutting his sales of it. I bought a print from Dutch, and then recently bought two more for close friends of mine instead of making copies of the print I received, if that helps explain my feelings on this. The man did the work, and I believe it is fair that he be paid for it if he is asked to share the information, as I bet he paid more in testing components than he makes off each packet, not to mention his time, recordkeeping, etc. I hope you understand my thoughts and intentions.

Screamin,
I really hope you didn't take me my comment as being offensive, as that wasn't my intention by any means. But now that you have it and have read it, you understand why I said to just get it, as it is very well worth the price Dutch charges for it, and is very detailed regarding the explanations of everything involved. And while I think all the information has been posted here by various members over the years, having it all in one place is worth it just for the sake of convenience if nothing else. You have it all spelled out for you in great detail, instead of having to search and mix and match the usually short answers given here. Dont get me wrong, the members here have been great with any question I have ever asked, and even with many that I didn't even know to ask. But there's times that it is just noce to sit down with a paper copy of something and read it since we all have a bit of an old-fashioned streak running through us. I hope it helps you as much as it has helped me since I've had it.

Lonegun1894

No offense taken. I find the system to be ingeniously simple now that I've read it. I already started implementing it and am looking forward to some range time next weekend. I think this is going to solve my flyer problem for good. I also firmly believe that muzzleloaders should be as accurate as any center fire rifle and am looking forward to achieving that. It is good to have a copy for reference and I believe that this info is going to be more than worth what Dutch charges.

So has everyone now gone to Ballistol now that the orginal cutting oil is no longer avaiable?? Is there one ratio between ballistol and water that gives the best results? I do have copy of Dutch's system, but still have a few questions.

Dutch Schoultz said:
I bought a gallon of the Water soluble oil and used about half or less of in 18 years ,Plus or minus, of fairly constant shooting.

dutch

Dutch, what is the name/make up of the oil that you used?
I have two different 5 gallon pails of water soluable oil one that contains sulpher (TRIM) and a Mobile product that is petroleum based. The youngest of these is 14 years old.

Back