• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early Reading Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tddeangelo

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, it was asked about in my intro thread in the new members section, so here is my first custom flintlock. I, of course, said it would be my only one. I already realize the silliness of that statement.

This is a big rifle, and I absolutely love it. It just lays on target and hardly moves. The balance is so spot on, and it fits me like a glove.

I've been shooting like mad to get ready for the PA flint season. I picked it up Dec. 14, about 2 months earlier than anticipated.

It's a 62-cal, rifled, and 120gr 2F with a 0.600 ball and 0.024" pillow ticking with bear grease are grouping 2" at 50 yards, 2-2.5" high. They are grouping about 4" at 100 and hitting about 1-1.5" low. Recoil is there, but not bad at all. The long barrel, overall weight, and very broad buttplate, along with the perfect stock fit, all work to mitigate recoil substantially for me.

So, without further ado, here is the rifle.

Pictures courtesy of Allen Martin.

D50E7233-4C59-46CF-ADDB-AA62AEF312C8_zpsllcko46e.jpg

91B8504B-C5A1-4ADC-8C35-D543354CFF58_zpsibux8xe6.jpg

95863005-136F-4B05-8944-711565469077_zpsu4v7iygs.jpg

03F4D1CC-48B6-4A4F-82D6-8E3A3C272F77_zpslz76vb3i.jpg

9AA406A3-F242-4705-BEDE-267D2D4E0C12_zpspjyadfbv.jpg

3DC40EE2-7979-43BB-82E0-A645A2C72EEA_zpssgzzupub.jpg

Wow. She is a beauty. Very elegant without overdecoration.
I find it interesting that rifled guns seem to use/like heavier powder charges than their smoothbore counterparts of similar caliber. My .62,smoothies seem to fall in with charges in the 75 to 85 grain ballpark.

Enjoy that gorgeaus gun.

Thank you all!

I take no credit for anything regarding the layout of the rifle. I worked with the builder to discuss what I liked and what interested me, and he made recommendations. I just nodded my head and said, "OK!" when he'd suggest what should be done to achieve the desired end goal. Heck, I didn't even have a great picture in my head of what I wanted. He worked hard to get that image in my head firmed up of what I wanted. Then he built it.

I started at 90gr 2F, and to be honest, it's shot the same sized groups at almost all charges, but 120 brought it to where the balls hit where the sights point. At 90, it hits low and right at 50. As the charge went up, it came up and toward the center. 120 got it pretty well where I wanted it. My hope was a good shooting load that gave me little to no thinking for 100 yard shots for hunting. My last shot offhand with this rifle, taken at 100 yards, hit the heart of the cardboard deer target I was using.

The folks at Dixon's know me on sight now, as I've been in a bunch of times to buy more balls. :)

Just like ALL of Al's guns, give him the basics, and he'll build a beautiful, perfectly functioning, masterpiece. Nicely done!!!

Beautiful rifle. This is the type of rifle I like to see on this forum. One that is truly traditional and made to perfection.

If I may make a suggestion...lighten the charge a bit and you may find that your groups tighten and the point of impact at 100 yards rises a bit. But, just a suggestion for something to try.

I got to hold this rifle profiled and forearm square, even than it felt good to me, can just imagine now that's its complete! Congrats!

Well, I've run charges from 90 through 120. Groups really were all about the same, just different POI, and the way it is right now is exactly what I wanted for trajectory. With the season starting the day after tomorrow, I'm just going to run with 120gr, but after the season's done, I plan to try some more experimenting.

I have some .610 balls, too, just didn't get to mess with them yet.

I've even read of folks using 595's, too. Just have to spend the time at the range with it.

I have to make up some better targets, too. The 6" black dots I'm using are fine at 50, not so good at 100. Some of the dispersion is simply struggling with getting a repeatable sight picture.

But for hunting purposes, she's doin' just fine.

The season' ends at the end of January, and then I'll get to range work and trying all sorts of combinations to see what shoots best. I may even try 3f, just for kicks. :)

Beauteous!

Maybe I don't get out much, but I've never seen a .62 rifle before. I do have a .62 Fusil, and .600" mold, and, after seeing yours, would consider a rifle sometime in the future.

I think I was on Allen's list for about a year before I finally decided on a caliber. I knew it was going to be bigger rather than smaller, but wasn't sure exactly what I wanted.

I was pretty much down to 58, 60, and 62. I talked with Greg Dixon to check availability of balls for the various sizes. He stocks them all.

Talked it through with Allen a few times. He likes his 60, and I just had a hankerin' to shoot big chunks of lead, so 62 won out. I believe the original Schreit is a 60, although it may well have been freshed a few times to get there...who knows.

This was a decision I had to make, but I'd ask Allen a few questions and then try my best to digest the info he gave me. Everything with the rifle is "big". 46" barrel.....big wide breech....thick, early buttplate profile...so why go small on the bore? :)

The barrel was picked for my height. It comes about to my shoulder with the buttplate on the ground (just below the level of my shoulder, actually). The LOP is on the order of 14" or a shade more. I'm 6'1 and change, so it works for me. A hunting buddy of mine is too short to easily load this rifle...... ;)

I have 3 kids, all girls. One of them will have to marry a tall guy who likes flintlocks. Or have a tall kid who wants to hunt....but I'll need someone to pass it down to at some point.

Back