• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early Reading Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say, besides agreeing that I am indeed blessed in many ways, is that Allen is absolutely awesome to work with on a project. I was hesitant to do this project at first. He is so easy to work with, it took a lot of the anxiety away. I've heard likewise about a number of other builders, too. Find the builder that "clicks" for you and such a project is fun and stress free. This one sure was for me.

The only "problem" is that now I've learned enough to be dangerous...to my bank account. :)

Beautiful rifle!! Good luck. My son and I will be hunting in Morgantown on Friday.

As soon as I saw the pictures I knew it was one of Allen's. If nothing else, I recognize his background. :grin:

That's a rifle you'll treasure for the rest of your life and pass on to your heirs.

tdd said:
This was a decision I had to make, but I'd ask Allen a few questions and then try my best to digest the info he gave me. Everything with the rifle is "big". 46" barrel.....big wide breech....thick, early buttplate profile...so why go small on the bore?

Amen...a .69 bore and unfortunately, not mine!
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/imgPart/aam-351_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, all.

I have been hunting lately with the rifle, which was the purpose for it. :)

Two evenings so far I have had the gun cocked, but the deer didn't quite give the open shot I needed. Both times, the deer were under 50 yards, so they were indeed in mortal danger.

I shot yesterday at 50 yards, offhand. 14 shots, about 10 of which went into a group of about 4" on the shoulder of a deer target. The others went either higher or lower, total group size of 7" with all shots accounted for. I found that the recoil can influence where the ball lands, notably if I am too lax with managing the recoil, the shots will invariably hit about 2-3" higher than intended, and shade to the right. If I lean into the gun with a little more aggressive stance, pull the buttstock into my shoulder good and tight, and lock that sucker in, she shoots right where I point her.

The next range session, I'll do some 75- or 100-yard off-hand work with it. I think this rifle and I are going to get along just fine. Just fine, indeed. :)

I broke in the rifle properly on Jan 1. :)

BAE64D32-5880-4CD7-8E44-C1301D081200_zpsghatbfsx.jpg

Wes/Tex said it right. You've got a perfect rifle. Very simple, yet the wood is beautiful, the carvings are extremely well done, nothing glitzy to take away from that overall elegance, and it fits you and works exactly as it should.

Yeah, I know how easy it is to talk yourself into getting more customs as time goes on, and sure, they're beautiful, too. But if I were you I'd think long and hard about staying true to your original statement and letting this one be your last.

Shoot it and shoot it and shoot it. Get to know it so intimately you can shoulder it and pull off a perfect shot just about with your eyes closed.

Know it. Take good care of it. Carry it afield. A lot. Cherish it. Slowly get only the best accoutrements for it. Your powder horn looks like you've already started.

Like the old saying goes, "Beware the man with only one rifle".

You've been fortunate enough to get the kind of rifle you can live with the rest of your life and be content. Do it, you will not be sorry.

Latest posts

Back