• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early T/C Hawken Accuracy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That T-C was the most accurate ML I have ever owned. The preachers T-C was the most accurate ML I have ever shot. I had better eyes then, and a good rest.

A lot of people had some very good T/C shooting guns. I bought mine right after Christmas 1980 and it couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. Maybe me, maybe the gun. I will never know now, as it was gone by the next Christmas and replaced with a GPR. Again though, many had very good luck with and that is great!

Due to recent experiences with a couple of T-C Hawkens, I would not recommend them today. The .45's of the mid seventies seemed to possess a measure of inherant accuracy, often lacking in the .50 cals. I never had a fifty out shoot my .45. I always thought that maybe the 1-48 twist was a bit fast for the fifties, but I don't really know.

Good Morning Capper,

I am in full support of Wicke and his accuracy claim. Since you have never seen that kind of accuracy before, I have some targets that will back up Wicke. Most of them were shot under the pressure of competition.

If some member can scan and post them, please PM me your USPS mailing address, and I will forward copies for you- to view.

I remain, with respect to all,

John L. Hinnant

"God and Texas"

Thankyou John. That rifle was my first serious ML. I did not have the recommended mold size for it, but did have a .451 mold for a Belgian 60 army, so wanting to get out and shoot the rifle, I decided to try that. Again, not having the recommended patching, I did have some cotton flannel I used for cleaning patches, so tried that also. Turned out to be the perfect combination. I knew that when my first group had all the holes touching each other, I had a winner, and with a little experimenting with powder charges, got it to 1/2" groups later on after I made finer replacement sights for the gun. The standard T-C sights are just too coarse for my tastes.

Good Afternoon Wicke,

The .451 ball size is commonly used by a number of 45 caliber competition shooters here in Texas and elsewhere. Green Mountain recommends that size for match shooting in their 45 caliber ML barrels. My old (1980's) H & H 45 caliber barrel dotes on the 451. ball. As a rule, barrels with grooves wider that the lands shoot best with bore size balls.

In the early 90's. I had Mr. Getz make me a 50 caliber barrel in a true .495 bore. It shoots best with Speer .495 balls. I wanted at least 50 caliber one rifle that would give me match grade accuracy without having to cast and weigh .500 size balls. It does.

If you have the equipment to scan copies of some of my targets and post them here, let me know.

I remain, with respect to All,

John L. Hinnant

"God and Texas"

Capper said:
Kind of hard to compare anything to a 3/8" group. :hmm:

I have shot several groups with my TC pennsylvania hunter at 50 yds that are one wallered out hole.

Measure groups outside edge to outside edge then subtract bullet diameter, yes it is possible to get a 0.0" group, theoretically at least. Chris

Dan Phariss said:
I would rebarrel it with a GM drop in.
The early TCs had a "problem" your friend would rather not recreate.

Dan

Like some others I am still interested in what this "problem" is. :confused: Chris

Latest posts

Back