• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Effective Range of a .32 Cal Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
These threads of small caliber uses has me wondering how effective and to what range they can be used effectively on critters slightly larger than the typical small game (squirrel and rabbits).

I see some state the .32 and .36 ball just isn't enough for a critter that may weigh up to 50 lbs or so (coyote, bobcat, etc.).

Seeing that none of these critters are thick skinned/boned, and not much more than maybe 12" broadside, what would be the furthest edge of range a .32 cal ball would be effective (humane) on something of that size?

I just don't see it taking much to penetrate through something of that size. But I have no experience, and my sense of logic has failed me many times.

I'm one who believes in multipurpose as well as efficiency. A .45 cal and larger ball is used often to hunt squirrels, but it just seems absurd to use something like that. I suppose it could also be looked at from a perspective of the cost of a small caliber rifle would pay for a lot of ball/powder/caps as well...

My initial choice for a small game rifle was a Traditions .32 cal Deerhunter. Cheap and handy. But I read many accounts of smaller bores being harder to find a good load with, and fouling quickly.

Anyone know of a new muzzleloader in .36 or .40 cal that's under $400 without severe problems? I'm almost inclined to make it my first flintlock... I'd want it to be handy in size and weight. I'm leery of used as I don't know if it was mistreated.

How much further can a .36 cal ball stretch the max range? A .40 cal?

Has anyone used a conical in their small bore for hunting heavier critters or shooting at longer ranges?

50 Yards iron sights, old eyes, prb 20 grains of fff

The 1st shot was the low one. Yes the rifle shoots left. but I was working up my 1st FFF load for it, and did not want to mess with drifting until I'm happy with the load.

Oh and the guy with me shot into a coleman Propane bottle left at the range :( . We know it went in but there were so many holes in the other side we could not say for sure it passed through the back side. Again with a 20 grain load

Yes we did trash the bottle someone else left :v

I got to say 200 yards max with no wind. These little balls get blown feet off course by relatively mild breezes.

If I knew of a 36-40 cal gun under $400 I would be buying it instead of spending $800 to build one. Only reason I'm building is one should keep me out of trouble and I really hope it looks half as good as some I've seen built. Best price I found as a kit gun for the 32. cal from cheaper than dirt.

rodwha said:
I see some state the .32 and .36 ball just isn't enough for a critter that may weigh up to 50 lbs or so (coyote, bobcat, etc.).

Comparing apples to oranges, we've shot a whale of a lot of coyotes with modern shotguns and buckshot of various sizes. Round balls are round balls after all. And they're starting a whole lot slower from a shotgun than from a muzzleloader.

Here's what we've learned, and yeah, we stretched the range of the shotguns a few times resulting in single-pellet hits so I think there's comparison there too.

A #4 buckshot (.240") will completely penetrate a coyote to over 60 yards. We've never recovered a #1 buckshot (.300") inside 70 yards. We've never recovered a 00 buckshot (.330") from a coyote at any range.

If single hits in the vitals from a slow shotgun load will kill the critter and let you check penetration, imagine how much further it will do the same if it's started a whole lot faster from a muzzleloader. Yeah, we lose some coyotes from hits outside the vitals. But that's fine with us, just so long as they had some lead pass through them before they disappeared. We just wanted them dead or discouraged from returning.

Accurate placement into the vitals of the same size balls moving faster? You be the judge of effective range.

Latest posts

Back