• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaino

Cannon
Reaction score
Just completed the latest Bucks County LR and the feeling I get is one of elation and humility...the humility part is caused by a stark realization that I'm not an artist but can still build LRs that are pleasing to the eye of a few people that appreciate my meager efforts. Some first timers and some that have built a few LRs have doubts all through the build that what they're producing is really acceptable and that their effort will result in a "correct, quality" version of what they've attempted. It's simply amazing that people w/ no particular "hand or artistic" skills are wading in and trying their best to produce something that will forever be in their minds as accomplishments that possibly they thought were impossible. I know because that's how it went w/ me. The elation part is the realization that "I did it" even though I don't have the "artist's eye". Photos will be forthcoming as proof that it can be done, but am presently confused {nothing new} as to which subforum is suitable....Fred

I'm in the same boat. I'm no builder, but I've built a few and even though they're far from perfect they shoot well and a few people have said they like them...at least to my face.

The satisfaction of doing it yourself often excedes the satisfaction of owning " The best".The main reason I play this game is because of the satisfaction I get from making my toys or trading what I can make, for what others do FAR BETTER than I can do.

I guess the main thing is that you yourself are pleased with the end result. Although my friends all say my last build is a great rifle, I myself will pick it apart saying I should have done this or changed that and I will do so on my next build. It's a learning process. Say you build a Southern Mt. rifle with a flat buttplate instead of curved because it fits you better you will probably hear some comments from the purists out there. Don't worry it is your rifle and you built it for yourself. We only see a small example of the many original rifles that were built so who is to say a particular style wasn't tried at least once. I have begun building all of the parts to my rifle except lock, stock, and barrel. Ken Guy's work is my inspiration/motivation. Now if my walnut stock will hurry up and get here. Looking forward to seeing your rifle.

Thanks for sending this post. It has encouraged me a great deal to keep trying. I just finished the stock on a Philly Deringer using Splated Maple. (Yeah, I know, not a good choice. :redface: ) It came out alright, I suppose, but has small nicks in the lock mortice and tang. Still, it was a very good learning experience and I will do better next time. I am going to do a stock to replace a synthetic stock on a caplock 50 cal a got a couple years ago on the cheap.

I can relate to every word you said Flehto. And if that's your personality, you will feel the same after every rifle you build. But, once you have built a second rifle, compare it to the first and you will realize how far your skills advance with each project completed. Bill

It is good to read these posts. There are a lot of people my self included who are on the edge. I have bult a couple of Dixie easy kits but are un able to get started on a better gun. My brother got a TOTW kit years ago and has never started it. He thinks he will miss it up. OK this is the year. :surrender:

I can understand Fred's feelings, but I feel he is being too modest. He has built several rifles and I have seen pictures of some of them. I think he does a great job and would be proud to own one. He might not feel that he is an artist, but has the skill to build a work of art.

I just felt like "thinking out loud" and go through this "process" after each MLer is finished. Perhaps indulging in excessive "self criticism" isn't a good thing but after looking closely at every new rifle, the faults are apparent to me and I think...coulda, woulda, shoulda. This "process" isn't debilitating at all seeing a new build is usually already started. The fault lies w/ the fact that as a tool and diemaker my "quest" was perfection, as it should be, but this mind set dies hard. I'm still truly amazed at usually "normal", inexperienced people taking on the task of building a MLer...expect a few sleepness nights as I had at the beginning and good luck....Fred

Sorry...haven't posted the pics yet. Tomorrow is picture day at my photographer friend's house and then it takes him a couple of days to process and send me the disk. Downloading into "Photobucket" is quick, so possibly sometime next week the pics will get posted.... probably in the "Builder's Forum" if that's OK w/ the Moderators....Fred

Back