• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elephant 4F in layered loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Elephant 4F / Lot #60 / Date Code 25/99

I had a pound of Elephant 4F left over from my Flintlock debut a few years back...bought one can along with 5 cans of 3F which I was so poor I could never use it, discarded it, etc...but I kept the 4F as it was a different Lot # and date code.

Decided to start using the 4F as the 20grn starter layer in the layered Pyrodex loads I'm using to get rid of the Pyrodex...ran 50 shots through the .58cal this morning and experienced three things:
1) This Elephant 4F ignition was perfect as a starter charge;
2) I had to plug the vent with a pipe-cleaner when seating a ball or the compressed air blew 4F out through the vent;
3) Even though it was only 20grns of Elephant 4F, it fouled noticeably more than the 20grns Goex 3F I had previously been using as a starter charge;

Next trip to the range I'll experiment with gradual increases in charges of this 4F by itself and see what gives, watch the pressure/recoil, etc...ie: 30grns, 40grns, 50grns...should be OK for plinking, save burning up a can of good Goex.

Back