• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elephant hunting with underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a photo posted elsewhere by someone else. Thought I'd share it here for the underhammer enthusiast.

Underhammer1.jpg

My New HERO! :bow: :bow: :bow:

I would have to get a strap to hold my glasses. I know they would get pushed off, just don't want to step on them!

Bet it would make you see double.

420FF and a 1400 grain ball is one MANLY charge!

You might not want the strap for your glasses. If you missed the bugger and your glasses fall off, you probably don't want to see what coming next!! :rotf:

BS said:

I would have to get a strap to hold my glasses. I know they would get pushed off, just don't want to step on them!

Speekin of manly charges... you would need "hardened balls" to fire tha dang thing effectively! :rotf:

Davy

Davy said:
BS said:

Speekin of manly charges... you would need "hardened balls" to fire tha dang thing effectively! :rotf:

Davy

BIG HARDENED BALLS
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

BS said:
Davy said:

Davy

BIG HARDENED BALLS
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Thats it .. ina nutshell! :rotf:

Davy

bigbore442001 said:
From what I understand , the toughest thing about hunting elephants is:

Handling the decoys! :rotf:

Okay ... skin thet one and I'll go get another! :rotf:

Davy

I’m bumping this, I know it’s from 2006 but does anyone have this article? I’d love to get a copy (if you could take pics and email?).

Cheers

Do we have any idea of the title and issue of the magazine? The PhotoBucket image in the original post is illegible.

Was Dixie still publishing their "Muzzleloading Annual" at that time? This sounds like the type of article they would have published.

If we can determine what magazine it is, we might be able to find it. There are at least a couple of places online that specialize in back issues of gun magazines... And there's always EvilBay.

Notchy Bob

does it take big balls to hunt ELEPHANTS ??? if so how big?

If you’re referring to the muzzleloading kind - 8 bore is the recommended minimum for African elephant (0,835”, 875gr ball) although in Asia I can’t recall who it was, but (was it Forsyth?) is quoted as saying a hardened 14 bore will shoot through and through the skull of an Asian elephant.

Back